Road Legal Off Road Motorbike

Associate
Hey guys.

Having recently moved to a area that will allow me access to a few off road areas I am looking to get a roal legal off roader.

Some of you posted a link to another forum. I think it was adrenaline something but I cant for the life of me rememeber.

I am after advice for whats the best to get as in performance/reliability and value wise.

Something probably either 400 - 600 cc but can go higher or lower.

I have 4 years no claims on bikes so insurance shouldn't be that much of a issue.

Any help appreciated.

Man of Honour
If you don't mind doing some work yourself, my choice would be a Honda CR500 made road legal. They're a hoot to drive, especially around green lanes and the like. The power delivery is absolutely mental! :D

If you want the bike for day to day use as well any of the following would be suitable:

Suzuki DRZ400
Yamaha TTR600
Honda XR650
Husaberg FE650e (I like these)
Kawasaki KLR650

I haven't done any green laning in a few years but I've had all the above bikes around the lanes of Ireland and my favourite had to be the CR500. Out of the 4 strokers my favourite was the Husaberg although the model I was on had modified suspension, massive brakes and a bigger sprocket on the back to make it more suitable for the lanes. It was a hoot to drive. Next on the list would be the XR650.

Soldato
Adrenalintrip.net :)

I suppose what bike you'd be best off with will depend on how much it will be used for road/off road.. because the better a bike is at one, the less practical it will be for the other, really.

Maybe a 450cc MX-based enduro bike would be a good move, I think. Depends how much your budget is though. The CRF450X is an enduro-specced version of the CRF450R MX bike, and I bet they're a blast to ride. Fairly high maintenance, but then any very focussed off roader will be, sadly.

If you wanted cheaper/easier and more sensible for the road side of things then maybe an XR400/650 would be more up your street though, more of a sensible engine for the road, and from what I understand still really capable off road. You see a fair few XR400s in clubman enduro competition as well, so while it's a bit less flash, they're still really good on the rough stuff.

To be honest that's about as far as my enduro/trail knowledge goes, really. I'm just a motocross scrote :D

Associate
OP
I am quite lazy so the option of minimal maintenance seems appealing. I have looked at the Xr's before.

I wonder how realisticaly I am going to use it off road. I think I will probably mainly use it for just commuting to and from work.

Hmmmmm, decisions. I rekon I am one of the worst people for making decisions on these boards.

Soldato
RMZ250_01b.jpg

Get it reg'd and add a brake light...loads of fun!.
:D

Associate
I used to own a KTM 640LC4 very nice bike and fast too, can have fun with the big bike, pretty good off road aswell if you can ride abit.
big thumpers are heavy though, but sure do bring a grin to your face everytime you ride them.

Man of Honour
Demontec said:
Thinking.... are all these off roaders and super motos 2 seaters? Can I fit myself and the mrs on the back?

They don't have 2 seats but you can fit two people on the one seat. Most should have footpegs for the pillion passenger.

Just for the record, a supermoto will be crap off-road. Better than sex on the tarmac but not so good off it.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the useful replies. I will probably end up with a DZR 400 just because price wise they seem the most reasonable for something I will probably only use once or twice a month.

Please tell me if this is a wrong decision but it seems I could get a decent one for <2500

Back
Top Bottom