Road Tax Help - Just bought a car...

Associate
Like to see "them" try to clamp him when hes driving it home.

no they stop you first you .

"And if the database takes two weeks to update, then why haven't I been pulled yet, I bought my tax on the last day of September, two weeks into October now and ZOMG ive not been clampzored!"

cos your so lucky, quick buy a lottery ticket.

bullit

Soldato
And if the database takes two weeks to update, then why haven't I been pulled yet, I bought my tax on the last day of September, two weeks into October now and ZOMG ive not been clampzored!

Because they'll update the ANPR databases every now and again with a list of cars that have expired tax, they don't store the expiry date in the database the ANPR systems use.

I hope that makes sense :o

Soldato
Because they'll update the ANPR databases every now and again with a list of cars that have expired tax, they don't store the expiry date in the database the ANPR systems use.

I hope that makes sense :o

Ah yes, but then unless the Focus is on a SORN then it will fall under the same category.

Associate
OP
Gonna keep everything crossed and hope the cert arrives on sat. Might check out swift cover, get cover and then cancel it once i have tax.

Problem is I will need the car for work on monday, so even if i got the tax online, would still have to drive it on the m3/m25 with no tax every day!

Cheers for all the help.

Soldato
Gonna keep everything crossed and hope the cert arrives on sat. Might check out swift cover, get cover and then cancel it once i have tax.

Problem is I will need the car for work on monday, so even if i got the tax online, would still have to drive it on the m3/m25 with no tax every day!

Cheers for all the help.

I don't understand why you didn't get the previous owner to tax it. Am I missing something?

Soldato
i got pulled same night (10minutes after) buying and insuring a car once (admittedly i was driving like a pillock 'testing it out')

The bacon on scene told me that its all updated within 5mins now, insurance and tax, and garages upload MOT data every night automatically.

Associate
In a similar situation, passed my test on Wednesday, bought insurance Thursday (£1800 :eek:), had an M.O.T Friday but can't drive it legally as the post office wouldn't accept a print off, of my insurance with my policy no. etc, I just thought they could have checked online to see if I did indeed have insurance after explaining it's not arrived in the post yet.

Hoping my insurance certificate comes Monday :(

Soldato
i got pulled same night (10minutes after) buying and insuring a car once (admittedly i was driving like a pillock 'testing it out')

The bacon on scene told me that its all updated within 5mins now, insurance and tax, and garages upload MOT data every night automatically.

admittedly i was driving like a pillock 'testing it out'
The bacon on scene

I am so happy that I share the road with immature drivers like you.
It's not as if you're partly to blame for the higher premiums sensible drivers have to pay.

Lum

Lum

Soldato
In a similar situation, passed my test on Wednesday, bought insurance Thursday (£1800 :eek:), had an M.O.T Friday but can't drive it legally as the post office wouldn't accept a print off, of my insurance with my policy no. etc, I just thought they could have checked online to see if I did indeed have insurance after explaining it's not arrived in the post yet.

Hoping my insurance certificate comes Monday :(

Tax it online. You're allowed to drive while waiting for the disc to arrive, though I'd suggest printing off the reciept page and keeping it with you to be safe.

Associate
Tax it online. You're allowed to drive while waiting for the disc to arrive, though I'd suggest printing off the reciept page and keeping it with you to be safe.

Really? I got told I had to display a tax disc, I'll buy it online now then as my insurance still hasnt arrived in the post and get the receipt printed.

Last edited:

Lum

Lum

Soldato
Oh, the post I was replying do didn't state that he'd just bought the car.

If you can come to an arrangement with the previous owner you can still tax online though.

Soldato
And you can't drive it while waiting for the disc to arrive unless it's in the first 5 days of the month and you have taxed it at the end of the previous month, before the existing tax had expired.

Back
Top Bottom