Road Tax Help - Just bought a car...

Associate
Hi,

Just got a Focus, pick it up on Sat. Spoke to insurance company and they are sending the certificate and should be with me Sat. Problem is, what if the certificate doesn't arrive on Saturday? Need to drive back home - 140miles. What are my options!?

Thanks for any advice.

Richard

Soldato
Just have the details handy. If you get stopped, they'll get hold of the relevant bodies and check that you do indeed have insurance. But how is this to do with road tax (or, more likely, Vehicle Excise Duty)?

Edit: Ah, you want to tax it with no insurance details. Pass.

Soldato
Just have the details handy. If you get stopped, they'll get hold of the relevant bodies and check that you do indeed have insurance. But how is this to do with road tax (or, more likely, Vehicle Excise Duty)?

Edit: Ah, you want to tax it with no insurance details. Pass.
He needs to tax the car, perhaps?

edit: You can't tax it without insurance details. So you either wait, or get whoever is selling it to tax it

Soldato
See if the insurance company can fax you the document? Or if they will fax it to the post office on saturday if you don't get it in time?

Soldato
Dayinsure it and tax it with the printed certificate, that's about all you can do.

Post office wont accept it.

Id just drive it back. The chance of going past a DVLA check point on a saturday afternoon are very slim I would have thought, and if you get pulled, Im sure a bit of discretion would be allowed, considering you would have a recipt saying you had just bought the car, and the new keeper supplement

Soldato
I wouldn't risk it. If it was fairly local then perhaps, but over 140 miles the chances of passing police ANPR and getting pulled is quite high. You might get a lenient officer, you might not..

Associate
OP
Gonna be a risk isn't it. If the certificate doesn't arrive, can I buy online? I know this means 5 days till the disc is delivered, but would mean I'm covered by ANPR.

Right PITA this is. Surely it should be all online these days, do away with the post office!

Soldato
Tax it online?

You wont have the disc, but it will show as taxed.

You would only be guilty of failing to display the disc, which would be a very harsh/unlucky £30 fine.

Soldato
i don't think this would be a problem, even if you were caught, aslong as you have put the correct procedures into place to tax your car

Soldato
what is the point of a tax disc? it shows nothing of interest as whether the vehicle is taxed or not comes up on the fuzzes computer!

Traffic wardens don't have access tot he database - so the disc is there for their use as much as anyone else's.

Also - How am I supposed to grass up people who don't bother buying tax for their car if I don't know if they have a disc or not?

Associate
also does it not take two week for the data base to be up dated, so if he was "hit" with and ANPR camera it would still show as untaxed and uninsured.....and as you dont have the tax disc they will clamp the car anyway.

bullit

Soldato
also does it not take two week for the data base to be up dated, so if he was "hit" with and ANPR camera it would still show as untaxed and uninsured.....and as you dont have the tax disc they will clamp the car anyway.

bullit

Like to see "them" try to clamp him when hes driving it home.

And if the database takes two weeks to update, then why haven't I been pulled yet, I bought my tax on the last day of September, two weeks into October now and ZOMG ive not been clampzored!

Back
Top Bottom