Road Tripping in the USA!

Soldato
Thank you :) I think they may have not actually had any standard mustangs available, I didn't see any in the pick up area.

Its an old Panasonic G3 four thirds camera with a 25mm lumix lens. It's pretty decent but I'm awful at taking pictures and they were all taken pretty quickly!

Last edited:
Associate
So due to start our East Coast road trip in 3 weeks and this time instead of using our smartphones to capture driving videos I figured we'd get something more suited to the task.

Any idea what a good cheap road trip camera to use would be? Some basic googling just keeps showing up dashcams which I'm not sure is the right device for this task? Definitely don't want to spend a lot, just want something better than a shaky smartphone captured video

Caporegime
So due to start our East Coast road trip in 3 weeks and this time instead of using our smartphones to capture driving videos I figured we'd get something more suited to the task.

Any idea what a good cheap road trip camera to use would be? Some basic googling just keeps showing up dashcams which I'm not sure is the right device for this task? Definitely don't want to spend a lot, just want something better than a shaky smartphone captured video

Stop being such a millennial in thinking you have to enjoy everything behind a camera lens.

Fair enough you want to take some photos and videos for the memories but you really don't need to video your driving.

Soldato
I used to use my phone for sat nav whilst taking time lapses, managed to get a few nice ones (a days driving in <5 mins). I find them interesting to replay looking back a few years later. Reminds you of things you had forgotten or routes taken . Last trip I did just set my phone to take normal video and used Hyperlapse to convert them to timelapse which does a better job and removes a lot of the smart phone shake. It's not like having a camera on whilst driving distracts or takes away from the moment.

Associate
I'm a muppet who makes judgements and gives opinions when it's not asked for instead of answering questions. Please forgive me, ironically, I'm a millennial.

Will do.

We once videoed a drive of Icefields Parkway on a go pro. Never watched it again. It's a fairly gimmicky idea imho, just enjoy the moment.

I don't know about that Fox, we took about 12 hours of video on the West Coast and specifically neighbourhoods we'd like to buy in when we move over there in a few years and we really like watching it now and then to remind us how nice it is and friends and family love it too. But then, you're talking about peeps who will happily watch a santa monica pier webcam for hours and not get bored. Each to their own I suppose.

I was looking at the Go Pro but it's just so expensive I'm not sure it's value for money? The issue we had with smartphone videos is a) windscreen reflection b) shaky especially with a dash holder

Associate
I used to use my phone for sat nav whilst taking time lapses, managed to get a few nice ones (a days driving in <5 mins). I find them interesting to replay looking back a few years later. Reminds you of things you had forgotten or routes taken . Last trip I did just set my phone to take normal video and used Hyperlapse to convert them to timelapse which does a better job and removes a lot of the smart phone shake. It's not like having a camera on whilst driving distracts or takes away from the moment.

That sounds pretty good. I'll look up Hyperlapse and Timelapse as I haven't heard of these before.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Reading through I see a few of you guys have stopped off in Charleston. There is so much to read out there I'm worried I'm going blind. Any recommendations of places to stay in Charleston?

Soldato
Reading through I see a few of you guys have stopped off in Charleston. There is so much to read out there I'm worried I'm going blind. Any recommendations of places to stay in Charleston?

We were doing on the cheap so just stayed at the red roof inn in mount pleasent, I think at the time accommodation was limited and very expensive in the center. It was fine for us as we just drove in. No complaints but it's just a basic motel. We Drove in one day and another day we went to the USS Yorktown museum, parked there and got the ferry over to center.

https://www.patriotspoint.org/

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel...t_Pleasant-Mount_Pleasant_South_Carolina.html

Soldato
We stayed in The Vendue. Location was perfect, hotel was pretty decent. Roof terrace bar, cookies and Iced lemon water left out each day.

You absolutely have to eat at Fleets Landing and Magnolias. These places blew our minds. Seriously!

Edit: Breakfast at "Another Broken Egg Cafe" - Grits and bacon!

Soldato
Worth noting that the Vendue has Valet parking, or you can just self park. Its around the back of the Hotel predictably :) The hotel has a day rate agreed for the parking, i don't recall it being expensive.

Edit: If you are going to do Savannah afterwards, don't stay in the 17 hundred 90 Inn. Trust me on that!

Last edited:
Soldato
Yep, do the muscle car once and then go more sensible/practical. :)

How much was the enormous SUV I seem to recall you hired a few months back? This sort of thing appeals to me for our trip to Florida in October. Or perhaps something from the 'luxury' class that Fox seems to like. I'm not really fussed about hiring a Mustang.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Booked the Mustang (or similar) with Alamo, cost me £630 for 15 days :( Unless it's something super special future USA trips will most likely just be a premium class rental and save a couple of hundred quid.

That seems mightily expensive unless the rental firms have all caught up with this fad in the last year or so? I just did a quote with hertz for a camaro (no Mustang listed, but i'd take a camaro convertible over one anyway) and it came out at £550 for 15 days (4 through 19) in September. Even that seems expensive so i guess this is Sterling:USD catching up with us.

Back
Top Bottom