ROG STRIX Z390-H GAMING + GTX 970 = continuous beep

Associate
I got my new mobo and cpu today - a 9700k on an Asus Rog Strix z390H with 16gig.
After putting it all together, I discovered that if I power it on with my GTX 970 inserted, there is a continuous beep and the machine will not start. I was unable to determine if the beep was coming from the mobo or the GPU, but since this happens whether or not the 8pin power is plugged into the GPU I assume it's from the mobo. This happens in either of the two PCI-E slots. It's one, long continuous beep, not a series of short beeps.
With no GPU inserted, using the built in HDMI out, the machine boots fine into windows and ran prime for an hour without problems.
I checked a wattage calculator which said that my 500w psu should be ample for that core and card.
When I put my i5 2500k back together and put the GTX970 in, it ran fine, so the GPU isn't the problem.

I can't imagine a GTX 970 being too old for compatibility with a current generation motherboard, so I'm really at my wits end, and was very sad to have to take my shiny new board and chip out of my case and put my 10 year old ones back in.

I'd be very interested to hear people's thoughts on this - should I conclude that my GPU is just too old and put the new parts on the shelf for a month while I save for a second hand 1080ti? Or should I conclude the new mobo is faulty and get it replaced? I sadly don't have a second GPU I can test it with.

Last edited:
Soldato
9700K has integrated graphics, so just plug a displayport or HDMI lead from the motherboard instead. if the board still doesnt boot try resetting the CMOS (Motherboard manual should be able to tell how to do this) & booting the board with 1 stick of ram in 1 slot (Starting with slot 2)It would help if you took the board out of the case & did a temporary build with the basic PC requirements for booting a PC plugged in, in case you are shorting something out when the board is in the case, Process of elimination when it comes to resolving PC boot problems unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom