ROG Swift PG32UQX mini LED DisplayHDR™ 1400 4k

Associate
https://rog.asus.com/monitors/32-to-34-inches/rog-swift-pg32uqx-model/

Asus lays claims to 'world's first mini LED gaming monitor' and it costs $3,000

ROG Swift PG32UQX
ROG SWIFT PG32UQX NVIDIA® G-SYNC® Ultimate Gaming Monitor – 32 inch 4K UHD (3840 x 2160), 144 Hz, IPS , mini LED , local dimming, Quantum Dot technology, DisplayHDR™ 1400

• 32-inch 4K (3840 x 2160) mini LED gaming monitor with 144 Hz refresh rate designed for professional gamers
  • G-SYNC ULTIMATE features the latest NVIDIA G-SYNC processors to deliver the best HDR gaming experience
  • Full Array Local Dimming (FALD) backlight delivers 1152 independent LED zones and peak brightness 1400 nits with DisplayHDR 1400 certification.
  • Quantum-dot display with a wide DCI-P3 98% color gamut provides realistic colors and smoother gradation
  • With LiveDash* OLED display on the front deco bar, you could choose to display either a customized icon image or the system information such as CPU temperature, GPU info…etc.

Soldato
That price is just too much for LCD considering the prices of OLED TVs.
While number of backlight zones might sound huge, remember one zone still covers area of over 7000 pixels and point light sources are going to have halos around them.

Also no doubt actual availability is going to be for Christmas in the best case.
There's still no idea when this year and half ago paper announced monitor is actually available:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/1483...mate-mini-led-4k-120-hz-monitor-with-hdr-1600

Soldato
Far too pricey for what it is considering there are 60Hz 4K 32" HDR screens for much lower cost. So you are essentially paying $1000 for a higher refresh rate. The fact it is G-Sync is also a negative for me as I prefer Freesync as it means you are not tied to Nvidia only.

Soldato
Far too pricey for what it is considering there are 60Hz 4K 32" HDR screens for much lower cost. So you are essentially paying $1000 for a higher refresh rate.
I agree it priced far to high, But it has a lot more then just a higher refresh rate, As no 32" 4k 60hz monitor has 1400 HDR, Mini LED & Local Dimming ;)
But then again you got people paying around this same amount for 3090 gpu's...

Man of Honour
Trouble is there no OLED available anywhere near 32" so OLED a total waste of time till they bring an OLED out that around 32"
There are 32” OLED monitors coming soon like the LG 32EP950. Not at all aimed at gaming but OLED does exist now in the monitor space. And is very likely at some point to lead to gaming display usage

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/l...tor-announced-with-4k-for-professional-users/

Far too pricey for what it is considering there are 60Hz 4K 32" HDR screens for much lower cost. So you are essentially paying $1000 for a higher refresh rate. The fact it is G-Sync is also a negative for me as I prefer Freesync as it means you are not tied to Nvidia only.
Well yes the high refresh rate is one part of it, but that’s absolutely critical for gamers. 60Hz just isn’t suitable for gaming nowadays. The other reason for the much higher cost is the Mini LED backlight which will offer the beat HDR experience you can get from a desktop monitor right now (outside of OLED). That’s one of the key elements of this screen

and the I wouldn’t be worried about Gsync locking you in to NVIDIA. It will almost certainly feature the latest firmware like most modern high end Gsync module displays do that allows usage for FreeSync systems too :) and the Gsync module is a necessity for appropriate handling of the Mini LED backlight dimming at the same time as VRR. That requires a massive amount of work and development which has been done with NVIDIA. So the module is definitely a good thing here, and shouldn’t limit you to NVIDIA anyway :)

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/n...sync-for-future-native-g-sync-module-screens/

Caporegime
That price is just too much for LCD considering the prices of OLED TVs.
While number of backlight zones might sound huge, remember one zone still covers area of over 7000 pixels and point light sources are going to have halos around them.

Also no doubt actual availability is going to be for Christmas in the best case.
There's still no idea when this year and half ago paper announced monitor is actually available:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/1483...mate-mini-led-4k-120-hz-monitor-with-hdr-1600

Isnt it something like 1.5" by 1" each zone? Like you mini led always sounds impressive with 1152 zones but it really isnt that much. Mini LED screens will be impressive once they get up to 5000-10000 zones.

Soldato
There are 32” OLED monitors coming soon like the LG 32EP950. Not at all aimed at gaming but OLED does exist now in the monitor space. And is very likely at some point to lead to gaming display usage

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/l...tor-announced-with-4k-for-professional-users/

Well yes the high refresh rate is one part of it, but that’s absolutely critical for gamers. 60Hz just isn’t suitable for gaming nowadays. The other reason for the much higher cost is the Mini LED backlight which will offer the beat HDR experience you can get from a desktop monitor right now (outside of OLED). That’s one of the key elements of this screen

and the I wouldn’t be worried about Gsync locking you in to NVIDIA. It will almost certainly feature the latest firmware like most modern high end Gsync module displays do that allows usage for FreeSync systems too :) and the Gsync module is a necessity for appropriate handling of the Mini LED backlight dimming at the same time as VRR. That requires a massive amount of work and development which has been done with NVIDIA. So the module is definitely a good thing here, and shouldn’t limit you to NVIDIA anyway :)

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/n...sync-for-future-native-g-sync-module-screens/

60Hz is fine for the casual gamer like myself as long as it comes with VRR. So it is nice to know that dedicated G-Sync modules now have firmware to support VRR. Genuinely pleased to hear that. Thanks

Associate
Update 28/4/21 – according to a press release from Asus today there will be “On-the-Shelf Availability of ROG Swift PG32UQX by End of May 2021”. This was a UK press release but we are clarifying what regional availability is likely to be, and any pricing info we can get.

From TFTCentral

Soldato
HDMI 2.0 as well apparently, who this monitor aimed at exactly £3k for sub-standard ports with no future proofing I wouldn't touch it at half that price tbh

Indeed, if it's still LED with FALD tech you cant really be asking +£1000 for an LED monitor these days - depends what these 32 inch OLED's that are coming are priced at. I'm deffo interested in a 32 inch OLED though.

Soldato
Mini LED screens will be impressive once they get up to 5000-10000 zones.
Innolux was also at least researching "Megazone" backlight, which would propably use another "black and white LCD layer" to adjust backlight brightness at nearing pixel level accuracy.
https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/innolux-latest-panel-development-plans-dec-2019/

That's really what should have been under more R&D already years ago...

Indeed, if it's still LED with FALD tech you cant really be asking +£1000 for an LED monitor these days - depends what these 32 inch OLED's that are coming are priced at. I'm deffo interested in a 32 inch OLED though.
That LG's 32" OLED costs really lot more than their 48" TV, while halving refresh rate from 120 to 60Hz.
So really no solution for gaming.

Permabanned

Having owned both I prefer the hardware module added to it has to have it to control the FALD and VRR.

Quote:

"The absence of a Native G-sync module might cause some complications here with usage of the Mini LED backlight at the same time as VRR. That is incredibly complex to develop and one of the reasons why current FALD and Mini LED gaming monitors use the G-sync module. We will wait to see how this performs on the Samsung Odyssey G9v2 and whether the Mini LED backlight can keep up with VRR and gaming properly and effectively."

Samsung Odyssey 49″ G9 S49AG95NC with 240Hz, Mini LED Backlight and HDR2000 | Overclockers UK Forums

Soldato
Update 28/4/21 – according to a
press release from Asus today there will be “On-the-Shelf Availability of ROG Swift PG32UQX by End of May 2021”.
Considering actual availability of new high end monitorts that on the shelf propably means Asus will have few of them in some show room...

HDMI 2.0 as well apparently, who this monitor aimed at exactly £3k for sub-standard ports with no future proofing I wouldn't touch it at half that price tbh
It's aimed for Nvidia fanatic club.
That proprietary G-sync module is also the reason for no HDMI 2.1.
I mean can't ask Nvidia to sacrifice that amount of money for R&D to implement three and half years old standard...

Caporegime
Innolux was also at least researching "Megazone" backlight, which would propably use another "black and white LCD layer" to adjust backlight brightness at nearing pixel level accuracy.
https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/innolux-latest-panel-development-plans-dec-2019/

That's really what should have been under more R&D already years ago...

That LG's 32" OLED costs really lot more than their 48" TV, while halving refresh rate from 120 to 60Hz.
So really no solution for gaming.

because the first 32" OLED are aimed at the professional market and the money has been spent on the quality and colour matching.

You can buy IPS 32" screens with 60hz for several thousand pounds for professional use.

So you cant really base the £3k price of the LG OLED pro screen on what a 120hz gaming version will cost. Looking at other manufacturers and what they charge for their pro screens and their gaming screens using the same panel, there is no need for a 32" LG OLED gaming monitor to cost more than £1500 max

Back
Top Bottom