ROG Swift PG32UQX mini LED DisplayHDR™ 1400 4k

Associate
Since you don't really want to run FALD (HDR) on the desktop with this monitor unless you are watching an HDR video, I found this quick HDR switcher for the taskbar which is sweet:

https://github.com/bradgearon/hdr-switch/releases/tag/0.0.0.3

Oh now that’s handy, thanks also for posting your opinions of the monitor. I may have got mildly frustrated with the state of PC monitor market and bought an 48 OLED C1 last weekend, and a new desk as I sure wasn’t going to trust that weight on my scratched up glass one.

I’m still eyeing up the PG32UQX/PA32UCG jealously though; and if I ever buy one at least I have a decent TV now. I’ve not owned a TV for over 10 years, much to my surprise watching Netflix etc on it is far more comfortable than my old monitor.

Associate
Hey so are there any owners of this display here yet?

Can anyone comment on it's response speed please? I have heard from various sources that it is not a very fast IPS panel, is this true?

Can people notice dark smearing or overshoot on this display.

Really need to know before I commit to such an expensive display now that it is available in Australia.

Soldato
Can anyone comment on it's response speed please? I have heard from various sources that it is not a very fast IPS panel, is this true?
Few reviews have mesured response times and those are like something from five years ago and not up to modern level.
Especially for such extreme price level.
Also active cooling fan running even during standby isn't something what should happen at such luxury price.

So really schizophrenic monitor.

Associate
Few reviews have mesured response times and those are like something from five years ago and not up to modern level.
Also active cooling fan running even during standby isn't something what should happen at such luxury price.

My fan doesn't run all the time in standby. Only for a few minutes after I turn off my PC so that the fan can cool down the FPGA/FALD.

Hey so are there any owners of this display here yet?

Can people notice dark smearing or overshoot on this display.

Really need to know before I commit to such an expensive display now that it is available in Australia.

TFTCentral measured average G2G of 7.3ms, which is about twice as slow as a modern gaming IPS. There is no dark smearing, it's colored smearing. It's still the best thing on the market though overall. A competitive gamer wouldn't/shouldn't be looking at a display like this anyway. This is the #1 eye-candy display and I've been simply loving HDR games on it.

You have to ask yourself how much you value HDR. There are ONLY a few hand-full of displays that actually do REAL HDR. The LG OLEDs, the 27"/34" FALD G-Sync Ultimate monitors, and now the 32" FALD G-Sync Ultimate monitors. Any "HDR1000" edge-lit monitor isn't real HDR.

Last edited:
Soldato

Delete

Associate
I can warn everyone to buy this monitor.

The pros:

-It's bright
-Good color performance/color space is very wide
-My units had good white uniformity
-DSC (144 hz 10 bit @ uhd)

The negatives:

-The fans are annoying, rattling and loud, one unit had a whine => comparable to the PG35VQ where i had to swap the cheap Sunon fans, this noise ****** me up
If you consider to buy this monitor as stand alone monitor and you have good ears and a silent system don't do it
-3 of 4 units had multiple dust spots inside panel
-3 of 4 had pixel failures (dead pixels and sub pixel failures (pink on white))
-None of 4 was without dust or pixel failures
-Halos are enormous, if i wouldnt know its a mini led, i would think its the old X27(P)/PG27UQ, i saw them even in brighter hdr videos like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX2vsvdq8nw
and especially extremly awful in such demos like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U3zmQbICOQ
In games it sucks too, look for haloing reports on youtube, amazon or hardforum PG32UQX thread
-The anti glare coating is way to aggressive, it's destroy the benifits of 140 ppi because of its grainyness
-Many very slow response times, white smearing a lot motion blur, look for hardwareunboxed review on youtube
-short image rentention, halo traces on grey images like the grey private screen of firefox are showing an awful trailing
-The oled display animation sucks with this constanly appearing ROG logo show
-The build quality is cheap, housing and stand using cheap plastic

I also bought 3 G9 Neo it's also sucking, but overall less:

Pros:
-It's pretty fast
-The contrast ratio is great
-The coating is good/no grainyness
-HDMI 2.1/DP 1.4 DSC
-Much less blooming compared with PG32UQX, so it has some kind of logo dimming like Samsung TV's (Neo Qled series (mini led))
-2048 dimming zones
-It costs max. only 2199 Euros
-very good white homogenity

Negatives:
-All 3 dust inside panel, 1 time in addition several pixel failures and damage of polarisation film; a few mm long scratch inside panel with rainboweffect
so awful qc, or no qc :D
-Scanlines
-Hdr looks dimm (worse than a hdr 600 monitor)/washed out/bad colors
-HDR dynamic mode has awful color banding
-Free-Sync Range at DP 1.4 crappy, it's starts at 96 hz (if i remember it correct :D)
-reports are mentioning free-sync flickering, dont tested it, i was done with all 3 monitors if i saw the panel quality with dust/pixelfailures/panel defects and the poor hdr
-sub pixel rendering is crap on Samsung sva panels, it means text and contours are fuzzy, so the image is not as sharp as you expect from a 109 ppi monitor, its closer to 92 ppi or 109 ppi bgr crap
-Overshoot is quiet heavy
-Popping noises according to a reviewer the_retrocave and some users on reddit, i know the old G9 has popping noise, it's using the same case. i didnt use my models longer than 20 - 30 minutes, i haven't experienced it yet. I have heared it by using the old g9 without fald. It was awful.
-dimming low is killing a lot of details in the darkness when removing bloom, look for the_retrocaves flight simulator video:

https://youtu.be/Rl6slnNMkh8?t=469

I tested also a LG 32EP950 with Joled panel

Pros:

-Per pixel dimming, no blooming/haloing @ hdr
-Very sharp (rgb subpixel structure)
-Very fast, below 1 ms real response time, 60 hz motion is looking very good, 60 hz on an lcd looks slow like playing on a office monitor, on PG32UQX its a blurry mess
-The pedestal is made of metal, feels and looks like the pedestal of the LG 38GL950G
-My unit has no dust inside panel
-Very good coating for dark room, no grainyness

Negatives:

-To expensive for the specs
-only 60 hz
-no adaptive sync
-max. 400 - 500 nits sucking, looks like a cheap HDR 200 - 400 monitor depending on the white ratio, but hey it has no blooming, so it looks better than the cheap global dimming lcd hdr 400 monitors
-Overall cheap build, stand and housing is made of the cheapes plastic
-My unit had a dead pixel
-Uniformity was awful; 70 % of the image had a yellow tint, remember it should be a monitor for professionals :D
-Pretty reflective coating in a bright room; it's very light ag coating (very close to glossy)
-maybe fast burnin/only 2 years bring in warranty (i doubt its for burn in)
-not flicker free/no dc dimming

I have a LG C1 48 inch, it's overall much better than all of the monitors mentioned above
All monitors above are something like a beta tester product. The "best" of them is the LG 32EP950. But nothing i would spend so much money for. It could be burned in after 1-2 years usage and hdr is beside of the no blooming experience not amazing. So i would spend maybe if usage of max. 1 - 2 years is ok, and i would only use it from time to time 1000 Euro.

Last edited:
Soldato
I can warn everyone to buy this monitor.

The pros:

-It's bright
-Good color performance/color space is very wide
-My units had good white uniformity
-DSC (144 hz 10 bit @ uhd)

The negatives:

-The fans are annoying, rattling and loud, one unit had a whine => comparable to the PG35VQ where i had to swap the cheap Sunon fans, this noise ****** me up
If you consider to buy this monitor as stand alone monitor and you have good ears and a silent system don't do it
-3 of 4 units had multiple dust spots inside panel
-3 of 4 had pixel failures (dead pixels and sub pixel failures (pink on white))
-None of 4 was without dust or pixel failures
-Halos are enormous, if i wouldnt know its a mini led, i would think its the old X27(P)/PG27UQ, i saw them even in brighter hdr videos like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX2vsvdq8nw
and especially extremly awful in such demos like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U3zmQbICOQ
In games it sucks too, look for haloing reports on youtube, amazon or hardforum PG32UQX thread
-The anti glare coating is way to aggressive, it's destroy the benifits of 140 ppi because of its grainyness
-Many very slow response times, white smearing a lot motion blur, look for hardwareunboxed review on youtube
-short image rentention, halo traces on grey images like the grey private screen of firefox are showing an awful trailing
-The oled display animation sucks with this constanly appearing ROG logo show
-The build quality is cheap, housing and stand using cheap plastic

I also bought 3 G9 Neo it's also sucking, but overall less:

Pros:
-It's pretty fast
-The contrast ratio is great
-The coating is good/no grainyness
-HDMI 2.1/DP 1.4 DSC
-Much less blooming compared with PG32UQX, so it has some kind of logo dimming like Samsung TV's (Neo Qled series (mini led))
-2048 dimming zones
-It costs max. only 2199 Euros
-very good white homogenity

Negatives:
-All 3 dust inside panel, 1 time in addition several pixel failures and damage of polarisation film; a few mm long scratch inside panel with rainboweffect
so awful qc, or no qc :D
-Scanlines
-Hdr looks dimm (worse than a hdr 600 monitor)/washed out/bad colors
-HDR dynamic mode has awful color banding
-Free-Sync Range at DP 1.4 crappy, it's starts at 96 hz (if i remember it correct :D)
-reports are mentioning free-sync flickering, dont tested it, i was done with all 3 monitors if i saw the panel quality with dust/pixelfailures/panel defects and the poor hdr
-sub pixel rendering is crap on Samsung sva panels, it means text and contours are fuzzy, so the image is not as sharp as you expect from a 109 ppi monitor, its closer to 92 ppi or 109 ppi bgr crap
-Overshoot is quiet heavy
-Popping noises according to a reviewer the_retrocave and some users on reddit, i know the old G9 has popping noise, it's using the same case. i didnt use my models longer than 20 - 30 minutes, i haven't experienced it yet. I have heared it by using the old g9 without fald. It was awful.
-dimming low is killing a lot of details in the darkness when removing bloom, look for the_retrocaves flight simulator video:

https://youtu.be/Rl6slnNMkh8?t=469

I tested also a LG 32EP950 with Joled panel

Pros:

-Per pixel dimming, no blooming/haloing @ hdr
-Very sharp (rgb subpixel structure)
-Very fast, below 1 ms real response time, 60 hz motion is looking very good, 60 hz on an lcd looks slow like playing on a office monitor, on PG32UQX its a blurry mess
-The pedestal is made of metal, feels and looks like the pedestal of the LG 38GL950G
-My unit has no dust inside panel
-Very good coating for dark room, no grainyness

Negatives:

-To expensive for the specs
-only 60 hz
-no adaptive sync
-max. 400 - 500 nits sucking, looks like a cheap HDR 200 - 400 monitor depending on the white ratio, but hey it has no blooming, so it looks better than the cheap global dimming lcd hdr 400 monitors
-Overall cheap build, stand and housing is made of the cheapes plastic
-My unit had a dead pixel
-Uniformity was awful; 70 % of the image had a yellow tint, remember it should be a monitor for professionals :D
-Pretty reflective coating in a bright room; it's very light ag coating (very close to glossy)
-maybe fast burnin/only 2 years bring in warranty (i doubt its for burn in)
-not flicker free/no dc dimming

I have a LG C1 48 inch, it's overall much better than all of the monitors mentioned above
All monitors above are something like a beta tester product. The "best" of them is the LG 32EP950. But nothing i would spend so much money for. It could be burned in after 1-2 years usage and hdr is beside of the no blooming experience not amazing. So i would spend maybe if usage of max. 1 - 2 years is ok, and i would only use it from time to time 1000 Euro.

Good overview thanks

it's crazy that they're still sticking fans on the back of monitors especially cheap crap ones

Associate
PG32UQX is using this fans (EF70181B1-C081-S99). Cheap (not the rip-off price of the chinese seller :D, the quality and the real price (a few Euros) is cheap) Sunon again. Bad bearing, fan not made for low rpm, high rpm fans at low rpm are making rattling noises. For this price i would expect the best of Noctua or Noiseblocker fans (if they need blower fans, they should ask this manufacturers for custom builds) or better a passive solution like it's used by Asus for the PG259QN(R).

I tested today also a Asus ROG Strix XG27AQM. An arround 800 Euros 270 hz wqhd monitor. It has a similar build quality like the 3500 Euro PG32UQX :D. This monitor had no dust, but a cluster of dead pixels :D. AUO panels are still the best (negatively). In terms of dust i would only buy LG (only a tiny amount of monitors have dust or other kind of dirt in the panel).

2015, 2016 AUO wqhd ips panels you had to buy 30-50 to get a few without dust. I bet you have to do the same with the PG32UQX. Up to 177.500 of Euros for this dust lottery. Nice.

Samsung is the worst in terms of dust frequency, then Sharp, BOE, AUO, Innolux. If it's possible i dodge panels from this manufactures.

But LG doesn't offer any high refresh fald panels for monitors. Only monitor with LG fald ips panel i know is the old Dell UP2718Q.

Last edited:
Associate
It's pretty crazy. You spend so much money for a monitor and you get only faulty units. AUO is the biggest crap. But Asus isnt better. Because they or their partner in China produces it. You can't release such a 3500 Euro monitor from factory with this failures.

Associate
Dust inside the panel is well known for AUO panels (also Samsung, BOE, Sharp, Innolux). The reports for AUO are going back to 2010. I had a lot AHVA (AUO ips) panels since 2015. Most had dust. But for this price it's a absolute no-go. I kicked all XB271HUb, PG279Q,XB270HU... with dirt inside panel.
Their price was "only" arround 500 - 750 Euros.

Most reviewers on youtube are paid. Otherwise i don't think they will use Eizos test for finding pixel failures and dust. For me the reviews are dilettante. Only pcmonitors and limscave (he is not posting any new videos since 2 years) are good enough for getting a first view over basic specs. But even they are not mentioning panel defects like dirt inside panel, fan noise, popping noise, scan lines or coilwhine etc. . Pretty superficial but much better than the advertising "reviewers".

With PG32UQX you have to play lottery with the panel, the housing (2 of 6 had identations (deep scratches*) at the frame arround the panel) and the fan noise. The unit with "only" black dirt was louder than the panel with subpixel failure and bigger grey dust.

*example for deep scratches at the bezel

https://abload.de/img/1630694586845hrkn4.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
Associate
23.649 GBP (6 PG32UQX + 3 G9 Neo).

Here the gallery of my monitor defects. Hope i uploaded all :D.

I considered about exchanging one PG32UQX through Asus warranty service because the PG32UQX was 500 Euros cheaper than normal. But I discarded this idea. Because it's extreme likely i will get next time also piece of crap and i will lose a week for this try.

I would advice you to buy a used model for ~1000 Euros less. And then use the Asus warranty service for getting a brand new one if it sucks. Also ~2450 Euros are more than enough for this monitor with such a lottery.

Last edited:
Associate
LOL. I got a 7th PG32UQX. It has really no dust or pixel failures. 1/7 is what you expect from such an expensive monitor. I thought i will never get one clean panel for PG32UQX.

But the display protection was mounted very quickly. Not well installed. They are working very fast, no time for good qc i think. The G9 will be full of dust i think. Otherwise i will choose what is better, especially concerning blooming over a huge range of tests. If the G9 has dust, pixel failure, scratches, white spots again i will kick the G9 Neo.

Soldato
LOL. I got a 7th PG32UQX. It has really no dust or pixel failures. 1/7 is what you expect from such an expensive monitor. I thought i will never get one clean panel for PG32UQX.

But the display protection was mounted very quickly. Not well installed. They are working very fast, no time for good qc i think. The G9 will be full of dust i think. Otherwise i will choose what is better, especially concerning blooming over a huge range of tests. If the G9 has dust, pixel failure, scratches, white spots again i will kick the G9 Neo.

Why do you have so many monitors?

Back
Top Bottom