RollD20 - Remote table top playing

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Couldn't see a thread on here on the subject, so I thought I'd add one.

Back in the days of having brown hair, I used to play a variety of RPGs and other games. Done D&D, Runequest, Elric and a number of custom mash-ups.
Like many, have ended up miles away from most of the friends that I used to play with, making the odd weekend the only real option.
Online RPGs are OK, but frankly, most are more of a mini-wargame than a real RPG.

Just recently, a friend of mine started up an online campaign, but using table top mechanics.
Voicecoms have been via Skype, and the gameplay rules via a service called RollD20.
In short, RollD20 supports out of the box some game systems, and allow customisation on others. We're using Pendragon as the core system, set in the 5th century. The online game hosts the character sheets, enables online rolling of dice, changes to character skills and attributes, gives a way to visualise the location of characters. It actually allows real interaction. I'm surprisingly impressed.
About the only thing missing is the ability to understand body language of other players, but even that can be partly dealt with using vid cams.
It's definitely worth a look if you miss the opportunity to role play.

Soldato
I run an ocuk dnd group game on there every Thursday evening.

It’s a fantastic resource especially for those in less populous areas who would otherwise struggle to get players together.

Back
Top Bottom