Roof terrace/roof decking/roof garden design

Soldato
I am looking for a roof terrace designer/architect to turn our roof into a decked roof garden.

The trouble is, my Googling is useless. I've literally got the name of one company in the whole of London who would entertain what is a relatively small residential project (£10-20k).

Do you have any recommendations or suggestions, preferably if you've had someone do something like this before? Maybe I am going about the search the wrong way by looking for 'roof terrace designer' and 'roof garden designer'.

Permabanned
It should not matter if it is on a roof. You should look for garden landscapers or decking + landscaping. Unless it requires the use of scaffolding to create a balcony etc then a normal garden landscaper should be able to convert a roof in to a garden.

Soldato
Tbh, depending on what you want to do on your roof (BBQ/Party terrace etc) might mean quite a bit of structural work. A decent civil engineering company is what you really want.

KaHn

Soldato
Surely he would only want a civil engineer if he planned to build a road to it.

He's going to need a Structural Engineer and he's also very likely to need planning permission for it as it would possibly constitute an over looking issue, It would definitely need a building regulations application and will possibly need to have a party wall notification in place depending on what the existing situation is.

Someone somewhere along the line is going to have to produce some drawings for approval. If you really want an architect then contact the RIBA find an architect scheme. Also worth noting that Architect in the house 2012 is starting again in a week or so, this would give you an hour consultation with an architect in exchange for a donation to the Shelter Charity.

email me in trust if you need anything else.

Last edited:
Soldato
Surely he would only want a civil engineer if he planned to build a road to it.

He's going to need a Structural Engineer and he's also very likely to need planning permission for it as it would possibly constitute an over looking issue, It would definitely need a building regulations application and will possibly need to have a party wall notification in place depending on what the existing situation is.

Civil engineering isn't just roads, normally houses is covered in that as well. Although they are a lot more disciplines to structural engineering than just roofs.

Either way he won't be able to just build on it with out the appropriate checks being made, drawings being drawn up and application process being undertaken which is why I suggested an engineering company rather than an architect.

KaHn

Last edited:
Soldato
Civil engineering isn't just roads, normally houses is covered in that as well. Although they are a lot more disciplines to structural engineering than just roofs.

Either way he won't be able to just build on it with out the appropriate checks being made, drawings being drawn up and application process being undertaken which is why I suggested an engineering company rather than an architect.

KaHn

really, you learn something new every day, in over 20 years of Architecture I've never once used a civil engineer for a domestic house. Multi discipline practices that house civ/structs yes but its always been the SE side that deal with structures.

I would personally recommend an Architect due to the possible planning implications, he will need an engineer as well though as its unlikely that his existing roof has been designed for anything other than access and maintenance.

Soldato
really, you learn something new every day, in over 20 years of Architecture I've never once used a civil engineer for a domestic house. Multi discipline practices that house civ/structs yes but its always been the SE side that deal with structures.

I would personally recommend an Architect due to the possible planning implications, he will need an engineer as well though as its unlikely that his existing roof has been designed for anything other than access and maintenance.

Well about 90% the structural engineers i know started life as civil engineering students doing houses and stuff like that.

Maybe we should stop arguing the fine details and agree that he needs more than "just a landscaper" like the guy above said and be done with it, an architect will employ engineers and a civil engineering company will employ designers pretty much the same kettle of fish.

KaHn

Soldato
OP
A roof garden in the UK?
Still, it will be nice to look at the plants while it pours down outside, it might even wash all the bird poo away.
I live in North London and have nice views over the city centre to enjoy when I can... even if it is only for 10 weeks of a year ;)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll start by calling some local independent architects who are bound to have contacts if they cannot facilitate it themselves.

Soldato
OP
The roof: Gradient issues, ponding. Poorly applied flat roof felt (directly onto boards, no membrane). On top of someone else's flat. Roof is demised to me, we are responsible for it.

The builder: Sure, I can put a deck on this.

The garden designers: You should sort out the ponding issues by padding under the felt, then you can put a deck on this.

The architect: This roof will probably fail soon. You should get it redone, levelled properly before sticking £20k of garden on it.

Instincts are to listen to the architect. Right?

Soldato
The roof: Gradient issues, ponding. Poorly applied flat roof felt (directly onto boards, no membrane). On top of someone else's flat. Roof is demised to me, we are responsible for it.

The builder: Sure, I can put a deck on this.

The garden designers: You should sort out the ponding issues by padding under the felt, then you can put a deck on this.

The architect: This roof will probably fail soon. You should get it redone, levelled properly before sticking £20k of garden on it.

Instincts are to listen to the architect. Right?

Get a second opinion, could be making work for himself.

KaHn

Tea Drinker
Don
So it's not a terraced roof at the moment? if not then the capacity of the roof joists may only be enough for 6" of snow not you and your mates, planters and a BBQ.

If it were me I'd be quoting for a new roof including strengthening the joists otherwise when it goes wrong I'd only be getting calls.

You could do a floating deck with cantilevered handrails under the deck but the roof below does need to be sound and preferably with a insurance backed guarantee before you go sticking stuff over it.

Tea Drinker
Don
Just had a thought, we fixed a roof that had concrete paving slabs on that was sagging under the weight, the ballustrades were cantilevered under the slabs so no fixing through the roof, we applied Kemperol with a reinforcing fleece over the old roof which held down the balustrades and made for a solid waterproof surface, you spread chippings over the Kemperol to give slip resistance and a nice finish, you can choose whatever colour you want.

http://www.kemper-system.com/upload...ish/Brochures/en_brochure_kemperol_2k-pur.pdf

Back
Top Bottom