Router advice

Associate
I currently have Virgin 1gig connection. Ethernet is approx 1.1 Gbps, WiFi 5ghz and 2.4ghz are about 550Mbps and 90Mbps respectively.
The router is the new VM superhub 4. I've already had an issue with this router (telling me incorrect password when connecting even though it definitely wasn't) and they eventually sent me a new replacement. However, as usual VM it's not the greatest router. I also have a tplink router as an access point in another room for smart devices to connect to however that is only a 2.4ghz capable router.
My whole 2 bed flat is a smart home. All switches, sockets, lights, hive, harmony hub etc so there are a lot of devices connected to the 2.4ghz network.
Somewhat frequently though my devices lose connection to the router and Alexa tells me they're not responding etc etc.

So, the advice in looking for is a recommendation of a router that can manage to run a full smart home easily and good coverage and also be able to fulfill the full 1Gbps speed.
I'm happy enough to spend up to approx £200 or just over but less would be great .

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Associate
OP
They all drop at some point. It's like the hub 4 forgets the password that's see and refuses connections.
I have approximately 27 devices connecting.

Soldato
They all drop at some point. It's like the hub 4 forgets the password that's see and refuses connections.
I have approximately 27 devices connecting.

Sorry, I wasn’t clear.

As an example: You have Hive. Hive uses its own Zigbee channel and none of the hive devices connect directly to your Virgin SH3, only the hub is plugged in to the SH3.

How many hubs do you have? Are they all plugged directly into the SH3 or are some of them plugged into the TP-Link router?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ok I think we both weren't clear, lol.
The only hive I have is for the heating/hot water. The one 'device'.
All other devices are Alexa devices which all connect to the SH4 (not SH3) via WiFi
nothing is plugged into the tp-link, it's just too extend the WiFi range

Soldato
OK, so what is controlled by the Harmony Hub? I suspect very few of your devices are connecting directly to the Virgin hub.

You seem hell-bent on replacing the SuperHub and I’m just trying to make sure you don’t waste money on a configuration issue. But if you just want a router recommendation then put the SH4 into modem mode and get yourself a Honor Router 3. £50 and it’ll do everything you ever wanted.

Back
Top Bottom