Router for Gigabit

Associate
Hey, I have full FTTP (1Gb up and down) and currently using a Linksys WRT 1900ACS (running DD-WRT. It's great for wired connection but the WiFi (no matter what I change on the settings for the channel or network mode b/g/n etc) is not the best. At most, I get around 100Mb download. I also have a Plusnet Hub 1 as an access point upstairs and with this, I get double the speed when connected to is over WiFi.

Basically, I'm looking at getting a new router but I have some requirements.

1. Needs to be able to create multiple SSID (guest and another purely for VPN using a virtual access point)
2. Support being a VPN client so all traffic (on a specific SSID with policy based routing) will run through that.
3. Needs to be better when using WiFi that the WRT 1900ACS

Are there any recommendations? I've been looking at the ASUS RT-AX82U 5400. The ability to create a guest network is more important than one specifically for a VPN.

Soldato
If your existing router does what you want, why aren’t you adding an AP and installing it centrally in say a landing area ceiling? Replacing one toy consumer router with another toy consumer router isn’t likely to massively improve the result.

Associate
OP
If your existing router does what you want, why aren’t you adding an AP and installing it centrally in say a landing area ceiling? Replacing one toy consumer router with another toy consumer router isn’t likely to massively improve the result.

Never thought of that. I'll have a look at this route instead.

Associate
personally keep your existing router, Turn the wifi off and add access points. Two main contenders right now that i would put in the unifi 6 lite (or 6 LR when you can get them ) or the honour 6 router running as a wifi AP only. the unifi will give you a lot more control than the honor router.

Back
Top Bottom