Routers and lightbulbs!

Associate
Not sure if this is the correct section but I'm trying to find some smart bulbs that work with Google home and is 5ghz.
I have a BT home hub which only does 5Ghz and every bulb that I have bought bought tried has been 2.4Ghz and I can't get any of them to work.
Do I need a new router or are there bulbs to suit.
Thanks

Caporegime
I have the home hub 2 and it isn't dual band if I'm correct......so possibly goes with the pain In the arse part :p

Is it the Smart Hub 2? The Home Hub 2 is ancient.

The Smart Hub 2 has both 2.4 and 5ghz. There are issues with configuration of some 2.4ghz only smart devices (particularly plugs) with the Smart Hub 2 though as you can't split the 2 frequencies.

Associate
OP
I just looked on the BT app its a smart hub 2...

After looking in the router admin menus you are right you can't split them.

Last edited:
Caporegime
If a device chokes on a Wi-Fi network that is being broadcast on both bands then it's faulty.

Have you tried setting the wireless mode in the advanced settings to mode 2?

Last edited:
Soldato
IoT will generally use 2.4Ghz as it's got better range, penetration and is more suited to the data usage as well as being cheaper. Have you considered installing an AP centrally that will allow you to split the bands? An old router in AP mode would be a free option.

Associate
OP
I haven't tried putting it into mode 2, I've also returned the bulbs that I couldn't get to work I've tried a few different types, all seem to be 2.4ghz.
Haven't looked into AP's as initially thought I'd just buy the bulbs, plug them in and off I go. I remember being able to split bands on my sky router but I'm BT now and they just don't seem to connect at all.

To start with I'm looking for 3 x bayonet bulbs and 3 x GU10, I don't know if you get G9's? Most of my rooms have those.

Associate
OP
So far it has been just random ones from ebay that say they work with Google home because a lot of them are unclear.
Yes the small capsule G9 I don't think you get smart ones? If not ill just go LED because because I have about 15 in the house and every month or so there one or 2 go and need replacing. LED should solve that.

Caporegime
A better long term investment would be to change your light fittings for ones that don't use G9 lamps.

Edit: Or buy a dimmer and keep using the mains halogen lamps. The soft ramp up that dimmers provide will prolong the life of the lamp.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
To be honest the main lights in our livingroom are rarely on, we have 2 big lamps (bayonet) that I want to control through the nest / google home app

Back
Top Bottom