royal mail postage and breaking items...

Permabanned
i posted a job lot of laptop parts to a guy from ebay, one of which was a 15" tft screen. today i got an e-mail from the guy saying the screen was cracked and useless and looks like someone has thrown a dart at it, now, i smell bull **** here as i know how well i packed it. there was 4 inches of shredded paper in the bottom of the box, the screen was in 3 layers of bubble wrap[ and placed on that, then there was another 2 inches of shredded paper, then some other items (laptop psu, batter, cd drive), then more shredded paper... how the hell could this happen ??? :(

Permabanned
OP
he did, and i now believe him as i can identify my screen by a little nick in the plastic surround :( royal mail have totalled it :( :(

13209024743.jpg

13209034764.jpg

Associate
yeah i might have a problem with them too. I posted a shuttle to a guy and he thinks that the mobo is buggered. It was working perfectly when i took it apart and sent it. So royal mail must have done something in transit.

How likely am I to be able to claim off the insurance i payed for based on the fact the shuttle is out of warrenty as far as i know and its not direct physical damage.

Permabanned
Same here sent a phone owrking, now wont charge etcc he says...

Got it back now, and it doesnt what can I do? It was recorded delivery, does he need to claim or me? Also how hard is it to get the moeny back? - It is internal damage .. Proberley thrown about etc..

Soldato
mctrials23 said:
How likely am I to be able to claim off the insurance i payed for based on the fact the shuttle is out of warrenty as far as i know and its not direct physical damage.

As it's not physically broken then it may have been damaged by static discharge (why does that word sound so dirty?! :)). Did you make sure you were properly earthed when removing and packing the board? If so then maybe the buyer didn't..the problem with that is proving it.

Andy

Associate
locutus12 said:
S.D. was too expensive so it was sent standard parcels with extra insurence.

Whichis probably why it got broken then.

I have worked in sorting offices where the mail goes, and if it aint SD then it is thrown about the place, even if it has fragile etc written ion the package.

If you want something to get somewhere in one piece, I sent a laptop last year SD and it only cost $19, just added into the price on ebay.

Soldato
sjohal2006 said:
Same here sent a phone owrking, now wont charge etcc he says...

Got it back now, and it doesnt what can I do? It was recorded delivery, does he need to claim or me? Also how hard is it to get the moeny back? - It is internal damage .. Proberley thrown about etc..

You need to claim, thats all I can say for sure.
Shredded paper is not suitable for anything other than stopping an item moving about in a box, and its not very good at that. It either gets compressed to the point where it offers no cushioning or the item slips through it to the bottom of the box.

Permabanned
OP
chrislusty said:
Whichis probably why it got broken then.

I have worked in sorting offices where the mail goes, and if it aint SD then it is thrown about the place, even if it has fragile etc written ion the package.

If you want something to get somewhere in one piece, I sent a laptop last year SD and it only cost $19, just added into the price on ebay.

but that shouldnt be the case, :( they should do their bloody job properly and have a litte respect for others property :(

JRS

JRS

Soldato
locutus12 said:
but that shouldnt be the case, :( they should do their bloody job properly and have a litte respect for others property :(

Yes, but we don't live in a magical utopian world where everyone gives a **** about other people and their property :) If you hadn't found that out by this stage of your life then...well, I'd be fairly envious.

Caporegime
I've just been a claim through royal mail and my refund is in the post, they broke a GFX card I sent RMSD but the claims procedure should be the same, mine went like this:

1. Fill in online form, sent it in with RMSD ticket as proof of postage (you may need to see your postoffice about a Certificate of Posting if you don't have one of these.

Wait 2-3 weeks.....

2. Recieved letter from RM asking for photos of both the damage to the item and the damage to the packaging, they only give you five working days to reply, so its best to have the photos ready. They also ask for proof of value, an original reciept or a catalog showing its price, I don't they accept a website printout. 5 working days is not a lot of time if you're not expecting this, as I found out.

Wait 2 weeks....

3. Recieved letter from RM asking for item to be sent to them so they can release the fund.

I've done this and now I'm waiting for my cheque :)

Hope this helps.

Permabanned
OP
Minstadave said:
They also ask for proof of value, an original reciept or a catalog showing its price, I don't they accept a website printout.

how else am i supposed to prove what a laptop screen costs? its the type of thing you can only get from the web...

Caporegime
locutus12 said:
how else am i supposed to prove what a laptop screen costs? its the type of thing you can only get from the web...

Don't shoot the messenger mate, you could try contacting the makers. I'm not definate about the no website thing, but from here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A1118314

To virtually guarantee a successful claim, you need to send in the following items for the following types of claim.

All: Certificate of Posting, proof of the item's value (a receipt and a catalogue page. For legal reasons, not an Internet printout) and a completed P58 complaints form.

Damaged Item: The damaged item itself, the original packaging of the item (which, by the way, will be kept in the event of a claim being compensated).

Delay: The delayed envelope.

Permabanned
OP
Minstadave said:
Don't shoot the messenger mate, [/i]

i knew you would say that :) sorry, i didnt mean for my comment to sound harsh, i just meant that i havent a cue how to get a documented price for the item without the net :(

Back
Top Bottom