• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTG boss takes 'sabbatical'

Associate
That's a matter of opinion, there's plenty of talk that Polaris was meant to be much better than what it was, but it didn't meet expectations so they just had to go with what they had.

Most likely that was because of the 14nm process not being mature enough yet. We saw the difference with the RX 580s using a mature 14nm process and being able to consistently achieve 1400MHz boost clocks and overclock to 1500MHz on the regular compared to the RX 480s.

Associate
they were doing better against Nvidia before and the drivers were better to use.

So said no-one ever.....LOL hundreds...probably thousands have been kicking AMD for years on their performance and especially the drivers. These forums are no exception. So how you can make a statement like that is ludicrous and doesnt hold any water whatsoever. Considering the budget that they didnt have compared to Nvidia then even keeping up by the skin of their teeth is a great acheivement. The Vega cards are selling out, regardless of who is buying them because of their mining capabilities. So more money in AMD coffers is a good thing. Wait until Navi to flame on Raja as this is his and his alone. :D

Man of Honour
Most likely that was because of the 14nm process not being mature enough yet. We saw the difference with the RX 580s using a mature 14nm process and being able to consistently achieve 1400MHz boost clocks and overclock to 1500MHz on the regular compared to the RX 480s.

Globalfoundries 14nm certainly seems to be one aspect that is holding AMD back - GF appears to be about 20% behind what other foundries are achieving frequency wise.

Caporegime

And look at the power the RX580 consumes. The RX580 at the same clocks is no more efficient than the RX480.

GF may be to blame but the process hasn't matured much. And the process can only explain so much, the GCN architecture has just run its course. You see this with Vega, a massive chip and lots of theoretical performance but it can barely keep up with a GP104 that is way smaller.

Soldato
So said no-one ever.....LOL
Prior to his arrival AMD were hammering Nvidia in price performance, their flagship had been offering slightly better performance than Nvidia's newer flagship for almost £100 less (of course Nvidia were still selling more because of brand power). Today their new card offers equal performance to a year old and superseded Nvidia flagship for the same money. So yes they were doing better before he joined.

No they weren't
See above.

hundreds...probably thousands have been kicking AMD for years on their performance and especially the drivers. These forums are no exception. So how you can make a statement like that is ludicrous and doesnt hold any water whatsoever.
Because their new software isn't as good as the old software, it looks nice and flash but it's no easier to use (if anything it's harder because of all the bloat). It's like they saw Geforce Experience and said to themselves "god that looks awful, lets see if we can make a worse version!".

Caporegime
It is very unusual for somone so senior to take such a prolonged leave of absence. If he was going to get fired he would already be out of a job, so its not that. I expect he is under a lot of Pressure since Vega was such a disappointment. He is probably on leave to try and clear his head and decide on his future. He may not come back on his own accord. He may return in a different position.

Permabanned
I disagree with you, While the GPUs haven't ment everyone's expectations what he has done for AMD Graphics is more than just releasing GPUs. The hole GPU software since he joined has been turned around, to what was lacking massively in features compared to the competition now has features better than the competition.

AMD graphics department is miles better now than it was before Raja joined. The guy deserves more credit that he gets.

I agree that he's a valuable employee but the top man making all the decisions? No.

When I sold my 290x and went for Fury pro I was worried that I was spending more than I ever have before on what would inevitably be a bad product, I was wrong and a year later the experience with my Fury pro had been so good that I bought a Freesync monitor and chose to wait for Vega rather than buy Pascal. The wait dragged on and on and like you and many others I've followed everything related that we've seen leading up to Vega and it's been a travesty, I've ended up with a GTX 1080 and doing my cpu upgrade instead. Mr Koduri has made one bad decision after another with Vega. And I'm not talking about the card itself more how he's handled public relations and the dishonesty we've seen, Thank God they've got Ryzen to prop them up. Hopefully they'll start funneling more money into gpu research now Ryzen's selling well. Presuming it is selling well?

Permabanned
It is very unusual for somone so senior to take such a prolonged leave of absence. If he was going to get fired he would already be out of a job, so its not that. I expect he is under a lot of Pressure since Vega was such a disappointment. He is probably on leave to try and clear his head and decide on his future. He may not come back on his own accord. He may return in a different position.

I doubt he's getting fired, Like you suggest I think it's more likely that they'll do a bit of shuffling and let him get back to what he does best, build architectures. That is what he does isn't it?

Man of Honour

While I'm not sure it is the case here being managed out isn't unusual - sometimes strategically straight up firing someone or another blunter kind of transition isn't the best option for a company.

We had someone in a fairly senior position who was reported for 100s of health and safety violations but had expertly covered their tracks so it was a bit of a difficult position for the company in terms of a disciplinary - was taken off "frontline" duties and eventually took an extended leave of absence and never came back.

Soldato
I doubt he's getting fired, Like you suggest I think it's more likely that they'll do a bit of shuffling and let him get back to what he does best, build architectures. That is what he does isn't it?
Why would they fire him? A handful of fanboys getting upset because it didn't mean their expectations? The card sold out on day 1 (all be it in limited quantities) and they have back orders a mile long as well as customers in the HPC and data centers despreate to get their hands on Vega for it's compute performance. If I were at AMD I would be very happy right now.

Permabanned
Why would they fire him? A handful of fanboys getting upset because it didn't mean their expectations? The card sold out on day 1 (all be it in limited quantities) and they have back orders a mile long as well as customers in the HPC and data centers despreate to get their hands on Vega for it's compute performance. If I were at AMD I would be very happy right now.

When did I say they'll fire him? As for the card selling out on release it was in very limited quantities and here we are just a few weeks later and Vega 64's have been in stock for the last couple of weeks so if these people are desperate for Vega card's why aren't they buying them?

Back
Top Bottom