• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 20 Series owners, Possible memory leak in drivers?

Soldato
So, I might be alone here but looking at nvidias forums theres a lot of reports of stuttering in battlefield and tomb raider.

I've found that there's a huge memory leak somewhere, It could be my ryzen but I'd like to see if anyone else has a input here?

I've been using Interlligent standby list cleaner to purge the standby list, After an hour of battlefield 5 it purged the list more than 16 times! Something is taking all my free memory and shoving it into standby/system working set. When this happens I get insane stuttering in battlefield, like every 3 seconds but when its purged my games are 99% flawless.

If anyone else run Intelligent standby list cleaner and watch there free memory/standby when playing battlefield 5 would be great to if am the only one.

I should also note that I have a RTX 2060 and a 1600 ryzen.

Soldato
Windows 10 always fills up my free memory with standby data and I've never had it cause any stuttering. It has every single megabyte I have currently allocated and I've been playing games tonight without issue. It's always done it with every configuration of AMD/Intel/Nvidia parts that I've used. I've certainly never had any need to use any third party programs to manage RAM usage (most which claim to do things like that do more harm than good in my experience). Have you tried or considered a fresh install of Windows?

Soldato
OP
Yea, Am running on a fresh install I did today, This is the only discovery I've made so far into the stuttering.

What I also found is running BF5 in DX11 will stutter every 1-2 minutes and my free ram is fine.

However in DX12 with Ray tracing, Free ram goes to 5mb and I get hellish stuttering unless I clear it which then goes back to a solid 60fps with no stuttering and full ray tracing.

Could purely be Battlefield and the new drivers for 2060 causing the issue, am not sure anymore.

Soldato
You are certainly not alone and it's not limited to RTX! This problem has been around for years, there is a many hundreds of pages long thread on the Nvidia forums about stuttering and how clearing the standby list removes most of the stutter. I find Battlefield 1 64 man Conquest to be most sensitive to it and clearing the standby memory definitely fixes it. When I had access to the time-limited BF V trial that also had the problem.

Nvidia insists the issue is a Microsoft problem and is up to them to fix it but I've yet to hear of an AMD GPU user suffering from the issue.
Thread: https://forums.geforce.com/default/...s-drops-since-windows-10-creators-update/353/

My specs:
Intel I7 [email protected]
Palit Nvidia GTX 1080 Gamerock Premium
Gigabyte X99 SOC Champion
32GB 2133MHz Kingston HyperX Fury
512GB Samsung SM961 NVME SSD
windows 10 64bit Home 1809
1000W Corsair RMi
Dell S2716DG 1440P 144Hz Gsync monitor

Last edited:
Soldato
Windows 10 always fills up my free memory with standby data and I've never had it cause any stuttering. It has every single megabyte I have currently allocated and I've been playing games tonight without issue. It's always done it with every configuration of AMD/Intel/Nvidia parts that I've used. I've certainly never had any need to use any third party programs to manage RAM usage (most which claim to do things like that do more harm than good in my experience). Have you tried or considered a fresh install of Windows?
It's strange that some are suffering from it and not others.

Soldato
I have obvious stutters when playing Forza M7 with an RTX 2080. This is at UW 1440p at 120hz with gsync.

The problem wasn't there with the 1080ti that it replaced, or if it was, it was much less noticeable. Althought that of course had more vram.

The problem also wasn't present on a 1050ti I used in the interrim playing with much lower settings.

Back
Top Bottom