• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 2080 Gigabyte Windforce 8GC. Problems with AXE and Afterburner

Associate
Hello

I bought RTX 2080 Gigabyte Windforce 8GC. I've tried overclock this card with Aorus Xtreme Engine first. But it was causing freezes when I changed any settings. Few times i couldn't start windows because AXE was changing the settings with windows startup whach was causing freeze and restart of the system.

Then I tried with MSI but it seems it's not working when I'm changing clock by 5-10MHz there is no difference in games on in software like GPUZ if I'll change clock futher it causing restart of the system.

I'm not sure if this is software problem or something is wrong with mu GPU.

Soldato
I'd suggest uninstalling any overclocking software and run the card at stock.

Do this until you're happy it's running OK.

Then you could look at clocking the card.

In my experience however, Nvidia's GPU boost generally does a good job.

I don't bother ocing my card, I just push the power limit to the max using AB and let it do its own thing.

Associate
OP
Thanks Kelt for reply.

Right now this GPU is OP for my games. I just want to check it before 14 days return period.

Today I updated BIOS for Motherboard and did fresh windows install. Then I'll try increase GPU power limit with afterburner.

Soldato
I have gigabyte products on only use their Engine to set colour scheme then close it down!

other overclocking tools are better - just set power limit and Temp limit to max with voltage and let it do its thing with Boost .

EVGA is bringing back old school LOCKED Overclocking ( to its XOS overclocking tool) so you'd always reach that max Overclock no matter what- even when system is at idle...

Associate
OP
On clean Windows install with new BIOS for motherboard everything looks fine.
This time I haven't installed any of Gigabyte Tools only CPUZ, GPUZ and Afterburner. This time i have control over the clocks and fans in GPU. And I'm not getting freezes or resets when I'm trying to change anything. For now i just changed Power Limit. I'll check how it behave in Metro Exodus.

Back
Top Bottom