• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 3050 - starting at $249 (msrp)

Associate
3050 was on offer for £225 2 weeks ago. plenty in stock and i was very tempted but decided to hold out for the 4050.
£100ish off the usual price and like a tenner below MSRP is not to be sniffed at but its still a joke price for what is essentially a low end card released far too late in this gen cycle.

How long are planning to wait for the RTX 4050? I may be wrong but it sounds like you are expecting the RTX 4050 to make its debut later this year considering the 3050 has only just come out earlier this year.Surely its gonna be a minimum 12 months between those launches.

Associate
I would have got that, but its missing the AV1 video decoder. AMD really messed up with using laptop parts for this gpu (where the APU would normaly handle AV1 video). I'm suprised AMD isn't refreshing it with a 6550XT, just with added AV1 decoder.
Do you intend to use the AV1 features? If so picking up a 6600 at the right price isn't a bad option. No products are bad only prices!

Soldato
£100ish off the usual price and like a tenner below MSRP is not to be sniffed at but its still a joke price for what is essentially a low end card released far too late in this gen cycle.

How long are planning to wait for the RTX 4050? I may be wrong but it sounds like you are expecting the RTX 4050 to make its debut later this year considering the 3050 has only just come out earlier this year.Surely its gonna be a minimum 12 months between those launches.
Im in no rush for a new card. Stopped gaming when my 780 died. These days the kiddo plays stuff like hello neighbour and poppy playtime and my T600 handles that fine at 1080p max settings.
Id like to get back into cyberpunk but can wait. Need features like av1 decode so a 3050 would be good but 4050 should do me.

Associate
Do you intend to use the AV1 features? If so picking up a 6600 at the right price isn't a bad option. No products are bad only prices!
Yeh, it'll be in my media center PC, though I only need decode, which 6500XT lacks. The 6600 would be nice, if the price was good, but I'd want a smaller card, which current I've only seen on 3050. Or a single slot 6600, that'd be even better. Just found an ITX 6600, but it might just be too big by a few mm. I might just have to open up my PC and re-measure.

Soldato
I doubt we'll see a 4050 until 2023. If you're worried about the instability of a 3050, I'm not sure why you'd think a yet to be released card would be more reliable than one that's been around a while and had it's drivers optimised.

Associate
I've read a bit about AV1 decode, but aside from using less bandwidth for streaming vide, what benefit does it have?
As far as I know, smaller file sizes.

For me the more important thing is eventually Youtube and others will starting using it, so its not worth getting a GPU without it if I plan on keeping it for a good few years.

I am pretty content with getting a 3050, but it can't hurt to wait till Monday, when some other Nvdia GPU's are rumoured for release/launch.

Back
Top Bottom