• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 3070 Price - are they really worth it?

Associate
Hi all

Question to forum (and ooverclockers if they are reading). RTX 3070 is currently available in stock at around £900. The card MSRP is £469. Is paying 2x the price right? Secondly I understand there is shortage since forever but I feel Overclockers are being scalpers themselves now as I don't see any clear information about discounts for genuine gamers so we don't pay inflated prices. The scheme about forum posts etc is unachievable for 99.9999% customers.

Associate
I think that's the pont of the scheme, to give members exclusive access. In fact you'd qualify with 40 more posts for one of the schemes (50 posts + 6 months membership).

I'd say sub 600 for the 3070 is reasonable.

Associate
Its on a par with a 2080Ti and cheaper so worth it in that respect. The £469 MSRP is for the Founders Edition, not third party cards.

Just because you don't understand how the pricing works does mean OCUK are scalping. You need to know all the figures involved to know what their profit margins are. From what I understand the discounted member market cards at £600 were only making about £30 profit, selling them less than that would be a loss to the business.

Associate
Hi all

Question to forum (and ooverclockers if they are reading). RTX 3070 is currently available in stock at around £900. The card MSRP is £469. Is paying 2x the price right? Secondly I understand there is shortage since forever but I feel Overclockers are being scalpers themselves now as I don't see any clear information about discounts for genuine gamers so we don't pay inflated prices. The scheme about forum posts etc is unachievable for 99.9999% customers.

I am in the same boat....

Not 100% sure if I should act now.

Last edited:
Soldato
No. Companies set the rrp at this price because they can make a reasonable profit at this amount. Twice the rrp and they must be making what is known as a 'supernormal' profit.

Pay RRP or don't bother IMO (unless you are loaded I suppose).

Last edited:
Soldato
OCUK are paying more than RRP themselves, I feel calling them scalpers is a little harsh imo, they put the members deals on and make little to no profit on those, they didn't have to do that.

If they could sell cheaper, all that will happen is they will sell out in seconds to bots who will stick them back up on eBay at scalper prices with no warranty. Is that what you want?

Soldato
depends on the situation do you already have old card ? have the money ? maybe you'll regret it few months time, stock is starting to come through more now and prices seem to be slowly dropping also could consider trying for nvidia drops which are at MSRP, personnaly I already have an card and is fine for me and looking to get 3080 fe on one of the drops, I refuse to pay over the odds and keeping feeding this whole situation

Soldato
Secondly I understand there is shortage since forever but I feel Overclockers are being scalpers themselves now as I don't see any clear information about discounts for genuine gamers so we don't pay inflated prices. The scheme about forum posts etc is unachievable for 99.9999% customers.

I think you need to brush up on your definition of scalpers.

Associate
Don't pay twice RRP never mind who is selling it. These prices are a joke and no amount of rationalising rampant scalping/profiteering can possibly justify it. Retailers simply don't sell products at a loss they sell for the absolute maximum they can
and will give all manner of 'explanations' why you should pay extortionate prices while laughing all the way to their Ferrari! The 6800XT should be £600-£700 so £200 more for the 6700XT is insane.

Associate
I personally wouldn't pay more than £550 for an AIB 3070. Some AIB 3070 models were MSRP'ed at £480 on launch before the whole world has gone crazy .

I would say just wait. The more people choose to wait the sooner the prices drop because scalpers and retailers will end up having too much stock to.sit on.

Soldato
£500-550 is what AIB models should be priced at with maybe the high end versions pushing £600.

£900 is terrible though considering a 3070 is about 30% faster than a 2070 super but costs 80% more so even makes the fairly lacklustre and underperforming Turing look good VFM.

People skipped Turing as its price to performance was poor yet seem all to eager to throw their money away on the overpriced trash which is ampere.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Hi all

1: They aren't worth it, no.
2: OCUK aren't scalping. The cost is higher from the distributors so that's just what OCUK have to charge as a business. They aren't going to sell as a loss to meet some mythical MSRP (see next point) are they?
3: 469 is MSRP for FE cards direct from Nvidia - AIB's were never going to be that low.

Soldato
Imagine Jensen on the ampere reveal said the prices would be 3090@£2500, 3080@£1300, 3070@£900 3060ti@£750 he woulda been laughed at so hard and these cards would have sat on the shelves rotting for months till price cuts came.

Associate
Imagine Jensen on the ampere reveal said the prices would be 3090@£2500, 3080@£1300, 3070@£900 3060ti@£750 he woulda been laughed at so hard and these cards would have sat on the shelves rotting for months till price cuts came.
Can't really blame him though can.you?
FEs are still being sold for MSRP. It's the AIBs that are selling them at super inflated prices at the moment

Soldato
Can't really blame him though can.you?
FEs are still being sold for MSRP. It's the AIBs that are selling them at super inflated prices at the moment
The point I'm making is no one would have paid those prices yet a year on and people are now happy to pay up.

Man of Honour
Whatever you buy a graphics card for, one day it'll be worthless (unless you keep it so long it starts to go back the other way), so it always comes down to how desperate you are for what they can do. It's just entertainment either way, cheap or expensive, you choose :p

Associate
The point I'm making is no one would have paid those prices yet a year on and people are now happy to pay up.
I don't think they are. At least most people aren't willing to pay that. They're now being sold for around £850 on auction sites which means that the market is not at lucrative for scalpers anymore.
Just two weeks ago they were being listed at £1100+

Back
Top Bottom