• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 3080 FE - Backplate Thermal Pad Mod

Associate
Hi All,

Was wondering if anyone has done the thermal pad mod on the rear of their RTX 3080 FE cards to help with the memory hotspot temps and if so what thickeness pads did you use?

As I was wondering what thickness thermal pads are used elsewhere as they look pretty low quality ones so may as well replace them all while the back plate is off.

Thanks

Soldato
The igor mod is 3mm super soft pads, the nvidia ones already on are 1.5 iirc

Check out the instructions for the alphacool block for where they might be useful on the back - that's what i'm gonna do

Permabanned
Gelid Solutions GP-Ultimate Thermal 15W/mK but only 0.5mm or 1mm (makes sense).

EDIT: you also can buy it in a long strip for VRam and its is available in 0.5mm, 1mm, 1.5mm & 2mm.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I have seen "Thermalright Thermal Pad 12.8 W/mK" but only comes in 1.5mm which can be used to replaced the rest on the back plate but would need some 3mm for the mod, I guess stacking 2 x 1.5mm is a no-no ?

Soldato
Copying this from my post in the Nicehash thread

So I just swapped out the OEM thermal pads on my 3080FE for Thermalright Extreme Odyssey 1.5mm.

OEM pads @ +800 mem fans 75% and 120mm fan on pull next to backplate with 2.5mm Odyssey pads between backplate and PCB. 106-108c

Odyssey pads @ exact same settings 80c after 20 mins :eek: What trash thermal pads are Nvidia using?? I was expecting maybe 10c but 26c!

Associate
Copying this from my post in the Nicehash thread

So I just swapped out the OEM thermal pads on my 3080FE for Thermalright Extreme Odyssey 1.5mm.

OEM pads @ +800 mem fans 75% and 120mm fan on pull next to backplate with 2.5mm Odyssey pads between backplate and PCB. 106-108c

Odyssey pads @ exact same settings 80c after 20 mins :eek: What trash thermal pads are Nvidia using?? I was expecting maybe 10c but 26c!

I take it this is on the front of the PCB by the core, 3080 has no memory at the rear? good job. This is mining workload temp i guess?

Soldato
Got some gelid ultimate 15w/mk arriving in a few days for my ventus which started off ok with junction temps at 94c with a 1000OC but the stock pads have degraded to the point that I even have to underclock the mem to keep it from 110c unless I leave the window open.

Soldato
Ah, I have used 1.5mm thermaltake on the rear only so far, they have improved it quite well.

May do the front next, ordering more pads.....:p
From what I've seen online the rear pads make little difference as the ventus already have some so it's like a 4c difference and not really worth bothering with, changing the front pads should give a 30c drop in temps if all goes well.

Which card did you do and did it come with pads already on the rear?

Permabanned
From what I've seen online the rear pads make little difference as the ventus already have some so it's like a 4c difference and not really worth bothering with, changing the front pads should give a 30c drop in temps if all goes well.

Which card did you do and did it come with pads already on the rear?

3080 FE, it has made quite a big difference, the Nvidia pads were potato. Will do front next. :)

Back
Top Bottom