• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 3090 or RTX 3080 Ti - which one to keep ?

Soldato
I have two brand new graphics cards but only need one now, for my own system.

I don't play the latest games so both will probably be overkill for me however I have them now so, thats how its gonna go.

Question is - which one is most likely to run cooler at stock speeds ( I don't overclock) and / or give me less problems?

Inno3d iChill RTX3090 X4 or EVGA RTX 3080 Ti ULTRA FTW

Associate
Both are going to be more or less equally performant and it sound like value for money isnt really a concern if you have aib cards. So warranty support would probably be the deciding factor for me since there have been a non trivial number of issues with Ampere.
Off the top of my head we've had: pos caps Vs mlc stability issues, possibly faulty power phase design causing failures in new world, internal extension cables as a possible fire hazard, overheating memory, and leaking thermal pads. There are probably more I've forgotten.

Soldato
Do you need the money? If so sell the one that is going to make you the most. Otherwise keep the best card - the 3090 - and sell the other. You can always undervolt the card to cool it and still get phenomenal performance.

Soldato
OP
The money is not as important as which one will be the most reliable - not sure there is that a big leap in performance however?

Do you need the money? If so sell the one that is going to make you the most. Otherwise keep the best card - the 3090 - and sell the other. You can always undervolt the card to cool it and still get phenomenal performance.

Associate
There isn't. It's 10240 cuda cores Vs 10496, they will benchmark within a few percent of each other at the same clock speed. Absolute performance winner is more likely to be determined by how good the silicon is and how well the cooler is mounted ( hopefully no finger sleeves )

Edit: actually, best answer is probably to try both and see which has less coil whine.

Last edited:
Soldato
How long do you want to keep the card for? If long (2-3+ years) then I'd consider the 3090 more strongly due to it having more VRAM and the x4 from Inno is usually pretty cool so there should be no worries with cooling.

Soldato
There isn't. It's 10240 cuda cores Vs 10496, they will benchmark within a few percent of each other at the same clock speed. Absolute performance winner is more likely to be determined by how good the silicon is and how well the cooler is mounted ( hopefully no finger sleeves )

Edit: actually, best answer is probably to try both and see which has less coil whine.
reading through this, this was going to be my response too! I have zero coil while on my 3080FE. Just a fan with a unique noise. lol

Associate
i would keep the inno3d rtx 3090. they are some of the best 3090's you can get in terms of cooling. also if you want more money you could easily get more for the rtx 3080ti right now due to it being a newer while slightly less power card :)

Associate
keep the 3090 from a longevity point of view but if you like to upgrade more often then most sell the 3090 and stay with the 3080ti but in say 12 months time the 3080ti could take a bigger hit money wise selling on second hand.

Soldato
OP
I don't upgrade often guys - so the decision was to keep the 3090 - in fact, it is now installed - cant believe it was about the same size as my 1080 ROG STRIX lol.

So, I am gonna sell the 3080 Ti any day now

Thanks for all the help - some interesting points of view

Associate
I don't upgrade often guys - so the decision was to keep the 3090 - in fact, it is now installed - cant believe it was about the same size as my 1080 ROG STRIX lol.

So, I am gonna sell the 3080 Ti any day now

Thanks for all the help - some interesting points of view

Best option doopydug i would have gone for the 3090 myself.

Back
Top Bottom