***Rugby League in 2022***

Soldato
Fairly standard win for Rovers - that sentence itself is something I've never uttered before as a Rovers fan! Wakey were always going to be the potential banana skin and we haven't had a good record against them recently but they didn't really bother us. On to Leeds next week at Headingly which will be on helluva challenge as they will still be feeling immense pressure to win on their own ground and lift them out of their league position.

I see Field has been saving Wigan's bacon again, wow that boy has some turn of speed!

Associate
If its not broken, don't fix it :)

Don't know if it will be enough to beat Sts at Elland Road mind.

Pleased that Smith had a good game v Wire. He played behind a beaten pack for virtually all of last season. Quick ptb and a decent pack make a massive difference

Wire remind me of Wigan last year. A bit rudderless and lots of injuries (particularly in the pack). Can't say I'm that upset about Williams not having a good game.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
OP
We now have a Plan C - Give it to Marshall

Seemed to just about work.

Meanwhile behind the scenes of the sport: Super League and RFL announce 12-year deal with IMG.

el Beeb said:
Super League and the Rugby Football League have announced a 12-year partnership with management company IMG to maximise the sport's growth.

The deal comes after Super League and the RFL agreed to realign, with the two bodies having separated in 2018.
Clubs supported the creation of a joint venture aimed at "maximising" the whole game's commercial value as one product.

IMG will now focus on the restructuring of the competition, content production and distribution of media rights.

'Restructuring of the competition' sounds like one of those ominous things that's going to become either a missed opportunity or a 'throwing out of baby with bathwater' job. I'll be very happy if I'm wrong about that.

Associate
They remind me of Wigan last season - and that's NOT a good thing. I think they just have to say it isn't working and get some new blood into the coaching job - somebody who would kick their backsides and just change the culture. A bit like Maguire did at Wigan about 10 years ago

Associate
At the end of last season, I thought Harry Smith would go on loan and end up playing at a Championship club. He's in great form. Just goes to show what decent coaches can do for players. Morgan Smithies isn't a penalty machine (although he still has it in him and should have had 10 minutes in the final), Liam Byrne doesn't knock on 5 times a game etc

Any Wire fans know what the story is with Cooper - not complaining mind, he's what we need (experienced, 100m+ prop). Wish we'd gone in harder for Chris Hill.

Hardaker looks in loads better shape since he left Wigan too.

Associate
Matty Nicholson to Warrington. That's a great signing and one that has slipped through the net for Wigan. You can only assume that Wigan have salary cap issues to have not signed him up long term. Warrington's accountants must be real magicians to fit him under their cap with all their recent signings. Having said that, they are losing a lot of experienced (and therefore highly paid) players - Charnley etc.

If it was a choice between keeping Pierce-Paul for another season or signing Nicholson up for 4 years, I'd have gone with Nicholson. Tbf, if he lives up to his reputation, he'll be in the NRL within 3 years anyway

Back
Top Bottom