***Rugby League in 2022***

JRS

JRS

Soldato
OP
Well… grand final is set. Saints V Leeds.

Gives me a shudder that fixture!!

Would have been nice for Saints to get there without some wildly dubious refereeing calls, but what the hell - it's Super League, and it wouldn't be SL without some bat-**** craziness in the officiating :p

Associate
Wigan saved one of their worst performances for a few months until Friday, but Leeds fully deserved to win. The red card was spot on and came at the back of a shocking 10 minutes for Wigan. After the amount of possession they had in the first half a 2 point lead was never going to be enough. To be fair Leeds were in control at the time of Bateman's red mist. Just got the feeling that if the Marshall no try had been sent up as a try, it might have been given, but coulda, shoulda, woulda, didn't.

Wigan were poor last season but have been transformed with a new coaching team. After the play off loss to Leeds last season, if anybody had said that Wigan would have been CC winners, finished second and played the way they have done this season, most of us would have ripped their arm off. The difference Smith has made to Leeds is outstanding, particularly with the way they've dealt with injuries and suspensions. They should be a real force next season, but I think the GF might be a step too far. Sts have the pack to get them into Leeds 20, but have the guile and skill (that Wigan didn't) have to get over the line once they get there. Hope I'm wrong though :)

Associate
Worthy champions. They have been the best team all season.

I'd like to see Lomax and Welsby as our halves in the WC (assuming Tomkins has the FB role nailed on)
Probably our best game for the past half season. Everyone had a good performance.

Lomax playing with gammy arm all season particularly noteworthy.

Associate
It's up to Lomax if he plays in the WC and then gets his arm sorted, or waits until it's over. He is the best half in SL, but it's definitely his call
I think he’ll play. Won’t get the chance to play a tournament in this country again regardless of our miniscule odds of winning it.

Associate
Lomax elected to get his arm fixed and not play in the WC. Fair enough.

Leaves the England team looking a bit short at half back, and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't go with Williams (despite him having a shocking season) and Welsby as halves. I don't get why they have only picked one centre and I though Gildart would have got a spot. Pack looks ok.

Just watched the NRL GF with a bunch of the Samoa team playing. It will be a real challenge to start the WC with a win

Associate
England looked good in the first half, when they had most of their starters on. Got a bit scrappy when they started making multiple changes (especially with non-squad players eg Powell, Wardle, Marshall).

I think Young has played himself into the team. He gives the same yardage as Hall, but with the extra pace. Makinson is nailed on for the other wing.

I can't see where Tomkins fts into this team. If he plays, where does Welsby play (and he absolutely needs to play). It would be hard to drop Sneyd after Friday.

I'd go

Welsby
Young
Farnworth
Watkins
Makinson
Sneyd
Williams
Hill
McIlorum
Cooper
Whitehead
Knowles
Radley

Tomkins
Ackers
Thomson
Burgess

The props are interchangeable really, and I'd have to see how fit the other props were before being certain about Cooper

The Samoa pack is massive. I just think McIlorum is the man for the brutal stuff early doors, but Ackers has to get a game

I think they will have it all on to beat Samoa tbh

On a Wigan related note: Wardle on a 3 year contract with Bibby and Sam Halsall going the other way. The Halsall one is a bit strange. I can't see how he's going to get game time at Huddersfield with te signings they've made. His face clearly didn't fit at Wigan though, which is a pity as I though he had real potential. Will be strange Wigan having centres who aren't second rowers next year and they should add more strike power to an already quite handy backline.

Soldato
England looked good in the first half, when they had most of their starters on. Got a bit scrappy when they started making multiple changes (especially with non-squad players eg Powell, Wardle, Marshall).

I think Young has played himself into the team. He gives the same yardage as Hall, but with the extra pace. Makinson is nailed on for the other wing.

I can't see where Tomkins fts into this team. If he plays, where does Welsby play (and he absolutely needs to play). It would be hard to drop Sneyd after Friday.

I'd go

Welsby
Young
Farnworth
Watkins
Makinson
Sneyd
Williams
Hill
McIlorum
Cooper
Whitehead
Knowles
Radley

Tomkins
Ackers
Thomson
Burgess

The props are interchangeable really, and I'd have to see how fit the other props were before being certain about Cooper

The Samoa pack is massive. I just think McIlorum is the man for the brutal stuff early doors, but Ackers has to get a game

I think they will have it all on to beat Samoa tbh

On a Wigan related note: Wardle on a 3 year contract with Bibby and Sam Halsall going the other way. The Halsall one is a bit strange. I can't see how he's going to get game time at Huddersfield with te signings they've made. His face clearly didn't fit at Wigan though, which is a pity as I though he had real potential. Will be strange Wigan having centres who aren't second rowers next year and they should add more strike power to an already quite handy backline.

Gutted about Wardle going to Wigan. Good player.

Warrington are a shambles at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom