Ruleset in development.

Associate
I'm currently working on a wargame, on the more complete sense of the word. As in ,a game that lets you play an entire country and interact with other countries through war, politics and trade. It's going to be centered on high medieval Europe, but I'll leave it free enough to expand to almost any time period and area.

Associate
OP
Here's the battle rules so far
Battle_rules.png

Soldato
A couple of things

1. Has this been play tested yet?
2. If it has been play tested, how many times? anything less than 50 different occasions means it needs testing more to iron out any issues
3. Have you sent this rule set out to gaming groups to Blind test? This is the most important thing to do when it comes to game design. Players must be able to read the rules and play the game. Offer feed back and try to break the game.

Is movement done by squares/hexes on a map, or by rulers on a table top with terrain models? I didn't see anything about how movement it done. I may have just missed that part, I don't know.
Upon reading it I thought it sounds just like any other army/battle/table top war game. What makes this stand out from others I could buy and chose to pursue as a hobby? Are Units that consist of more than 1 model (say for example a large scale war) just the same type or do they have different classes like maybe 1 unit could consist of 2 cavalry, 6 militia, 3 catapults etc? Will it have a Leader (squad leader, Platoon leader etc) will you have cards for this game? Would morale rolls be modified if a leader is still alive in a unit such as a boost or re-roll?

Did you get any inspiration from any particular wargame? How many games like this have you played?

Some of the rules could be filtered and made a little simpler but I have not played so can't really say that, but reading it some of the rules could be simplified.

Associate
OP
This is a very new project so I've not had a chance to play test it extensively. I'm currently reaching out to some groups that might be interested to try.
This is going to be different not as a war game exactly (people will have the option to replace it with any game of their liking for their battle encounters). Since this is ,to put it in simple terms, a game within a game.
A unit is a group of soldiers with identical stats(save for the leaders etc). But there will be additions for commanding a few small forces together, led by a few captains in battle.
I might replace the battle sheet with unit cards to make life easier at some point.
Morale and such will definitely see some changes in the future. A leader will have an option to rally the troops close to him.
And finally about simplifying, I need another person to do that with a different point of view on the text.

Soldato
Ok cool. One thing you could do is have a card for each unit type with stats, insignia, colours etc. Things to point it out on the map. Have a ton of chits/tokens for each type of unit and when they are on the map there easily distinguishable for other units. If you have 10 cavalry on one space, make cavalry tokens with a 10 on it so players know how many of that unit are there.

A simple combat mechanism that is in a fair few war games or normal board games is this. Instead of rolling dice, the number of units equals damage to the opposing faction. Eg you have 6 cavalry moving into a space with 4 cavalry from the enemy, your 6 beats their 4. You do 6 damage to their 4 damage you have 2 cavalry remaining on the space where the battle took place. So discard the number of units killed. Its and auto combat mechanism and a few games have this info hidden apart from what type of unit it is. You tokens could be double sided, one side with type of unit and the other side the number of that unit.
If players take it in turns to attack then this will give agency to all players.

I think this auto combat mechanism is great personally. Each unit type has a initiative value. Ranged units will always attack first, horse units second then melee units. Each unit will have a different modifier on what it attacks of course but that is easy to do.

I have a great interest in this post by you as I design board games. Nothing published yet, but I know a few things on how to design a board game. I will point you in this direction tough https://www.facebook.com/groups/BGDLCommunity
if you use Facebook, this group is probably the best resource for all your design needs. I use it every day near enough. Join it, make a post introducing yourself and post your idea and ask a question or two.

Associate
OP
Thanks for taking the time, I'll sure join the facebook group!
Also yeah I'll probably opt for a simpler system. Maybe not that simple but still simple enough for a board game.

Back
Top Bottom