• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Rumour: 3080 20gb and 3070 16gb cancelled

Associate
Or they caught wind of the 6000 series performance and didn't think they needed to bother ;)

They still have to compete with the next gen consoles, which are knocking it out of the park by all accounts.

Maybe they don't care about gamers and just making cards for the miners.

Associate
They still have to compete with the next gen consoles, which are knocking it out of the park by all accounts.

Maybe they don't care about gamers and just making cards for the miners.
I don't think they see the consoles as competition at all. The Xbox Series X is only pulling 180-200w maximum and these cards are going to draw that much power by themselves, let alone the rest of the PC!

TrM

TrM

Associate
maybe they're fast tracking the next release (4000 series) like they did with the 400 > 500 series?

why are people thinking/saying that for? everywhare i look say that the 3000 series has been bad and rushing to 4000 or a 7nm tsmc version or 16gb and 20gb of some cards.

this launch has been bad for lack of stock but the product is really realy good. a improvment over 2000 series. top card is cheaper currently also 650-800 instead of 1.1-13k and beyond of the 2080ti.

people allways look forward tot he next card but lets just sit back and enjoy what we have allready The 3000 series has been terrible to get hold of at launch but its still one really good card when you get one

Associate
They can't release the 20gb versions while still having so many 10gb on back order, and it doesn't make sense strategically vs AMD at this point.

Nvidia is still in a paper launch with no stock anywhere I think they know AMD win this round and are sitting back ready to see what AMD drops then come back with a 3080Ti late Q1/earlyQ2 (which I called nearly 2 months ago this whole situation) as by that point the 3080 10GB will be available and the 8nm wafers Nvidia has in processing/ordered can be used.

Make no mistake new cards 3080/70/60 are nothing more than a short term stop gap and the people owning the currently over inflated price Nvidia cards before the 7nm Ti's drop will be feeling some ring sting early next year.

TrM

TrM

Associate
They can't release the 20gb versions while still having so many 10gb on back order, and it doesn't make sense strategically vs AMD at this point.

Nvidia is still in a paper launch with no stock anywhere I think they know AMD win this round and are sitting back ready to see what AMD drops then come back with a 3080Ti late Q1/earlyQ2 (which I called nearly 2 months ago this whole situation) as by that point the 3080 10GB will be available and the 8nm wafers Nvidia has in processing/ordered can be used.

Make no mistake new cards 3080/70/60 are nothing more than a short term stop gap and the people owning the currently over inflated price Nvidia cards before the 7nm Ti's drop will be feeling some ring sting early next year.

Amd haven't won anything yet They haven't even launched. Weve seen time and time again amd promising so much and well coming up short. Whilst i do expect amd to compete with nvidia i very much doubt they will beat them on everything. Nvidia have shown there hand its AMD time now to show what they have have And i bet they will come up short BUT price the cards accordingly 50-75 dollars cheaper with 95% of the perfroamce outside of ray tracing And they will have a halo product prices much higher then the 3080

Soldato
why are people thinking/saying that for? everywhare i look say that the 3000 series has been bad and rushing to 4000 or a 7nm tsmc version or 16gb and 20gb of some cards.

this launch has been bad for lack of stock but the product is really realy good. a improvment over 2000 series. top card is cheaper currently also 650-800 instead of 1.1-13k and beyond of the 2080ti.

people allways look forward tot he next card but lets just sit back and enjoy what we have allready The 3000 series has been terrible to get hold of at launch but its still one really good card when you get one

Because it's about production capacity & capability as well, not just what a handful of chips can do. Granted I don't believe they'll switch to TSMC for Ampere regardless (costs too high). It will simply be a dry winter in terms of stock.

Associate
This rumour kinda bothered me after I heard Jensen say "Its safe to upgrade". Like well no if there's a superior version of this 'flagship' card coming out 3 months later thats gonna cause you buyers regret that quickly. Seemed ridiculous to me. Especially as most people are having to wait until around that time to get their 3080's they ordered on launch day. Id wager you dont see a 3080ti or super until December 2021 :D

Soldato
A 3070 16GB was always going to be a bizarre card as it doesn't fit in the product stack.

A 20GB 3080 makes a little bit more sense but not just months after the series has launched.

Additionally if a 3080 is only 15% behind a 3090, then a 20GB 3080 also fits rather oddly in the product stack as Nvidia would essential kill the 3090 product.

So both the 3070 16GB and 3080 20GB have no place in the line up.

I doubt these where ever planned to be honest. Let alone cancelled.

Caporegime
Weve seen time and time again amd promising so much and well coming up short.

Or to be more accurate, we've seen time and then again the rumour mill and forums whip up a ton of hype and the final product not meeting the expectations generated by months of bs clickbait articles.

Soldato

I think so as well If I were in a queue for a 3080 i'd be getting out of it waiting, there's gonna be a lot of buyers remorse on these forums 4-5 months time.

Back
Top Bottom