Rumour: 3D Realms Shuts Down

Soldato
Ah I didn't realise it would be PC only. Surely if someone was going to rescue it they would want it on consoles as well?

I've quietly thought since i heard the news that Microsoft will bail out 3DR under the condition that they complete DNF in x months and make it a PC/360 exclusive game. It's been widely documented that the 360 is very similar to the PC in terms of programming games and we all know MS like to buy as many exclusives as they can get their mitts on. After all, all 3DR want for completion of the game is $5mil, that's pocket change to MS.

I too played DN3D and i still game :x

Soldato
There's also the rather glaring issue that it would only be released on the PC, i don't see how it could compete in sales with games like CoD4, Half Life 2 and GTAIV when it's cut out millions of potential sales.
Oh dang, good point. If anyone decides to take it on, maybe they should start again, make it a cross-platform title.

Soldato
I've quietly thought since i heard the news that Microsoft will bail out 3DR under the condition that they complete DNF in x months and make it a PC/360 exclusive game. It's been widely documented that the 360 is very similar to the PC in terms of programming games and we all know MS like to buy as many exclusives as they can get their mitts on. After all, all 3DR want for completion of the game is $5mil, that's pocket change to MS.

I too played DN3D and i still game :x

Question is, do M$ want such a non-PC game? Or will Duke get is tackle chopped off as part of the deal?

Oh dang, good point. If anyone decides to take it on, maybe they should start again, make it a cross-platform title.
LOL!

Soldato
Question is, do M$ want such a non-PC game? Or will Duke get is tackle chopped off as part of the deal?

IIRC MS payed far more than $5m to make the GTAIV DLC exclusive and they redesigned the 360 hardware partly to appease Epic who were making them Gears of War. Neither of those games are what i would call 'PC', GTAIV for obvious reasons and GoW for possibly the most stereotypical black character in this 'generation' of gaming :p. IMO MS are very in touch with gamers and know that a bit o' sexism and gore sells, i'm sure they'd have enough sense to know to always bet on Duke, even with $5mil

Soldato
IIRC MS payed far more than $5m to make the GTAIV DLC exclusive and they redesigned the 360 hardware partly to appease Epic who were making them Gears of War. Neither of those games are what i would call 'PC', GTAIV for obvious reasons and GoW for possibly the most stereotypical black character in this 'generation' of gaming :p. IMO MS are very in touch with gamers and know that a bit o' sexism and gore sells, i'm sure they'd have enough sense to know to always bet on Duke, even with $5mil

Fingers crossed then!!

Soldato
I think the only way we'll ever see DNF is if 3DR (which is now what, two people?) 'give' the game to another studio under a deal where they oversee development with 3DR only getting a small % of the profit, or outright sell the work done so far to another studio. And that's if other studios are even interested.

I hope we get an official statement... even if DNF did go to another studio, I wouldn't hold my breath to get anything within the next 12 months. Heck, I'm not even holding my breath for an official statement any more :(

Soldato
I think the only way we'll ever see DNF is if 3DR (which is now what, two people?) 'give' the game to another studio under a deal where they oversee development with 3DR only getting a small % of the profit, or outright sell the work done so far to another studio. And that's if other studios are even interested.

I hope we get an official statement... even if DNF did go to another studio, I wouldn't hold my breath to get anything within the next 12 months. Heck, I'm not even holding my breath for an official statement any more :(

Aren't there rumours M$ are buying 3DR?

Soldato
Aren't there rumours M$ are buying 3DR?

No I don't think there are any real ones. Just people on forums speculating on who might be likely to do it. Would be interested to see who says MS are buying 3DR and why they say it, but I doubt their reasoning is anything more in-depth than "because I think they are going to based on xyz".

We need an insider, or at least someone who knows someone, before we should actually take it as a rumour with substance. Anyone can come up with a theory as to why company x will buy 3DR, doesn't mean it'll happen!

So in short, no, MS aren't buying 3DR - there's nothing to support that other than nerds (like us) speculating on forums.

Soldato
No I don't think there are any real ones. Just people on forums speculating on who might be likely to do it. Would be interested to see who says MS are buying 3DR and why they say it, but I doubt their reasoning is anything more in-depth than "because I think they are going to based on xyz".

We need an insider, or at least someone who knows someone, before we should actually take it as a rumour with substance. Anyone can come up with a theory as to why company x will buy 3DR, doesn't mean it'll happen!

So in short, no, MS aren't buying 3DR - there's nothing to support that other than nerds (like us) speculating on forums.

http://www.thebitbag.com/2009/05/10/3d-realms-possibly-bought-out-by-microsoft/

Associate
There is a time for all things and a time where some things are past it and no longer relevent and thats the case with dnf. I honestly can't see myself getting too excited about it if it was released now anywhere near as much as maybe 8 years ago and the fact i can say 8 years is in itself a big condemnation of 3drealms tbh.

Soldato
Games can be ported, especially PC to Xbox360. DN3D was recently ported to run on XboxLive, so many new people have seen it.

Well yes, i know that. I was referring to the fact that 3DR have said it would be a PC game only up until now so it wouldn't be 'the best selling game ever' as someone put earlier in the thread.

Back
Top Bottom