• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Running a 2080ti or possible future 3080 with single pcie cable.

Associate
Hi,

I’ve noticed a lot of people saying a 2080ti should be powered by two separate pcie cables instead of one which I understand.
I’m looking to get a 3080 in the future and this may also be the same for this.
i have an old ax 850 psu which is still working great, but I have lost one of the pcie cables and it’s almost impossible to fine a new one. It’s a 12 pin to 2 6+2 as it was supposedly so you could run 2 high end vga’s. Would this be enough to run a 2080ti or future higher powered cards off one single cable ?

In a review it says “ The AX850 has four PCIe connectors in separate cables so it can support up to two hi-end VGAs.“

The cables are all coming from 2 12 pin connections. Does this one is the equivalent of two separate connections/cables ?

Soldato
You'll be fine. The reason people suggest 2 seperate pcie cables is so that you don't potentially have >300W being supplied by 3 12V wires which could overload them and cause them to get very hot - depending on how the manufacturer spec'd them.

With your cables having 12 pins, the load with be carried by 6 pairs and be fine.

Back
Top Bottom