Running a business using VoIP rather than physical SIMs, mobile phones and landlines?

Soldato
Does anyone know the procedure for getting a VoIP server set up so I can have multiple phone numbers that are all answered using a software phone?

I have three mobile phone numbers I would like to port to a VoIP solution, a new mobile phone number and a geographic phone number for the business itself.

I know very little about VoIP and SIP, but I was hoping that some of you would have some experience running a business entirely online.

Permabanned
Hi Cromulent.

There are many cloud providers and many options for hosting yourself. I don't recommend this for you simply because of having to ask the question puts me off giving advice as VOIP systems self hosted are not easy to manage.

What I advise you do is go with an existing cloud VoIP provider that supports software and/or VoIP handsets because the server infrastructure is already in place for you. Usually it's literally plug and play depends if you purchase the hardware from them they can set up the devices to work as soon as you plug the phones in.

You can migrate numbers to voip systems no problem but ask before getting the service to whichever service you choose.

Soldato
OP
Hi Cromulent.

There are many cloud providers and many options for hosting yourself. I don't recommend this for you simply because of having to ask the question puts me off giving advice as VOIP systems self hosted are not easy to manage.

What I advise you do is go with an existing cloud VoIP provider that supports software and/or VoIP handsets because the server infrastructure is already in place for you. Usually it's literally plug and play depends if you purchase the hardware from them they can set up the devices to work as soon as you plug the phones in.

You can migrate numbers to voip systems no problem but ask before getting the service to whichever service you choose.

Thank you for your reply. Yeah, I don't know anything about VoIP or SIP at the moment but I was wondering if someone could give some advice on providers and software required. Obviously, I don't mind paying but I'd like a little advice. Particularly when it comes to software phones on macOS and iOS. As for cloud providers that sounds good. I'd be more than happy to go that route but I'm a bit confused at the moment. I'll try and watch some YouTube tutorials.

Permabanned
There's a lot of software that goes directly into VoIP cloud providers. For example:

Vonage
Ooma Telo
RingCentral
AXvoice
1-VoIP

I have used 3 of the above and they are all similar in terms of setup. Some might provide more functions than others but depends what you are properly looking for, what hardware you want to use or if it's purely software based.

On top of software based you will need a headset, something like a USB VoIP headset (wired/wireless) would be fine.

Which parts are you confused about?

Soldato
@Cromulent if it's for business use I can get one of my sales guys to speak to you? Company is Yappl (www.yappl.com) and we are ultimately an MSP but have a very long history in the B2B mobile sector as well as UC.

One thing we can't/won't do though is port mobile numbers into a hosted system as OFCOM dictates you cannot present a mobile number from a fixed line.

However we do offer a really nice, seamless package that includes the option for desk based phone, mobile app and pc/mac app so you then have a "geographic" deskphone capability in your hand.

Pricewise, it's not terrible (if you're interested I will make sure we offer the best deal we can) and it's a managed solution so our team set it up and you can have a login for the buttons if you want, or just leave it if it works. Up to you.

Soldato
OP
@Cromulent if it's for business use I can get one of my sales guys to speak to you? Company is Yappl (www.yappl.com) and we are ultimately an MSP but have a very long history in the B2B mobile sector as well as UC.

One thing we can't/won't do though is port mobile numbers into a hosted system as OFCOM dictates you cannot present a mobile number from a fixed line.

However we do offer a really nice, seamless package that includes the option for desk based phone, mobile app and pc/mac app so you then have a "geographic" deskphone capability in your hand.

Pricewise, it's not terrible (if you're interested I will make sure we offer the best deal we can) and it's a managed solution so our team set it up and you can have a login for the buttons if you want, or just leave it if it works. Up to you.

First of all sorry for the long delay in replying.

Yeah I found out you couldn't port mobile numbers. Oh, well no matter. As to the rest that sounds great and I'd certainly be interested in talking about it. The important thing for me is being mobile so have a VoIP on my iPhone as well as on my Mac. Although having said that a VoIP hardware phone might be better than running it on my Mac. I assume it just requires power and ethernet?

Anyway let me know what information you need and I'll answer as well as I can. I'd want to be able to add landline numbers to my package in the future though so if you packages only supply say 1 number how much extra would it be for another one?

Soldato
First of all sorry for the long delay in replying.

Yeah I found out you couldn't port mobile numbers. Oh, well no matter. As to the rest that sounds great and I'd certainly be interested in talking about it. The important thing for me is being mobile so have a VoIP on my iPhone as well as on my Mac. Although having said that a VoIP hardware phone might be better than running it on my Mac. I assume it just requires power and ethernet?

Anyway let me know what information you need and I'll answer as well as I can. I'd want to be able to add landline numbers to my package in the future though so if you packages only supply say 1 number how much extra would it be for another one?

No problem. 1 user on our platform gives access to a mobile app, a computer softphone and desk phone so you're covered. The desk phone we tend to recommend a Yealink as they play best with the platform, some are WiFi but I recommend ethernet where possible.

Bolting extra numbers on as you go isn't an issue and I don't think there is a charge either. Drop me a trust with your business email and I'll email you from mine and get the ball rolling, some basic requirements and stick a quote together as well as answer any questions you may have

Back
Top Bottom