Running out of work, company has been taken over, under 2 years service.

Caporegime
Should I be already trying for interviews elsewhere? Not much clarity on future.

Obviously with my short stay here I believe I can basically be dropped pretty quickly.

The takeover is progressing rapidly. And I do not feel like my skillet relates to what little info I have on my new area. Let's say.. I'd never apply for the job I believe I'm getting

Signs aren't great I have to say.

Caporegime
OP
Sounds like you've answered your own question.

As a genuine question - why wouldn't you look elsewhere?

Main reason is it suits well for the time being. Very close to home. Get on well. With people.

But yeah I can't see any reason not to at least be prepared. Never been through a takeover before. Hard to know how concerned I should be.

Caporegime
OP
Very. Takeovers are messy, not seen a good one yet. Start looking.

I don't even know the tech stack of the new company. In meetings recently with colleagues most people seem 'concerned' unfortunately I don't feel comfortable enough with anyone to ask 'what do you think'

I joined here during lockdown

Thanks both. I think part of the question is because I don't want to acknowledge it. But I have to.

I believe a small bonus (this month) and closing of share scheme (soon) is being paid so I'll try and hold on for that

Last edited:
Soldato
Very. Takeovers are messy, not seen a good one yet. Start looking.

Depends why you're being bought.

Usually, after a takeover, the buying company looks to cut 20% of the work force, due to duplication of roles.

However, if they've bought you for the workforce, that's unlikely - when I was at Red Hat, we were bought by IBM and I don't know of anyone that's lost their job yet. In fact, many people have been promoted and teams have increased in size.

Caporegime
OP
Depends why you're being bought.

Usually, after a takeover, the buying company looks to cut 20% of the work force, due to duplication of roles.

However, if they've bought you for the workforce, that's unlikely - when I was at Red Hat, we were bought by IBM and I don't know of anyone that's lost their job yet. In fact, many people have been promoted and teams have increased in size.

I believe this is a buy for the brand and the data. So unfortunately I see it being the former.

Sentences such as 'we have no plans to relocate the office in the near future' don't really fill with confidence.

But yes. I believe this acquisition is for the brand and not the staff.

Soldato
I believe this is a buy for the brand and the data. So unfortunately I see it being the former.

Sentences such as 'we have no plans to relocate the office in the near future' don't really fill with confidence.

But yes. I believe this acquisition is for the brand and not the staff.
Yeah @MrRockliffe I understand in the corporate world, but this is by the sounds of it a fairly smaller business, where I tend to experience it's buying the company for their database and name. With businesses a lot of it is fitting in and the systems, when businesses merge or takeover you get a lot of clashes, new management where people don't see eye to eye with their new manager etc etc.

Caporegime
OP
Thanks for the advice guys.
Definitely right choice.

I've been super busy with interviews this week. And had 3. With some ive turned down. Some ive dictated terms too and they keep accepting. All 3 have 2nd stages. And some competing with others etc.

All jobs are 5k more (talking going from 38 to43+)
So it's quite am increase.

Don't feel I've done too bad going from 34k 8 months ago to hopefully 44k.

I'm absolutely blown away by how many jobs there are in my area. I feel lucky and at same time sorry for those stuck in retail etc with little help of getting out. Really brings it home how people talk about a growing wealth/shrinking wealth dividing line.

The most guilty feeling thing is I think this is thanks to Covid. All of these have work from home. And are further away than I'd ever consider before.

Soldato
Exciting times for you @413x. Take note of the pension offerings from the company too.

I applied for my first new job this week in 20 years. I am on leave next week so will be spending a bit of time applying. Hopefully someone wants me :D

Back
Top Bottom