Rural Broadband

Associate
It's a bit of an ope ended query really that I've got.

At my place in the sticks my average internet connectivity is; DL - 3.5mbs, UL - 0.85, Ping 109ms.

I'm an avid gamer and for the most part this suffices. We're a family of 6 though so often there's not enough to go around if we're all at home using the interwebs. Of course if one person starts downloading a film then that nerfs the whole show.

Next week some of the local peasantry (myself included) are getting together at the town hall to basically discuss what we might do as a community to get 'superfast' broadband or whatever. I've been included in on an email chain and some of these guys are really getting into it; they say that it effects their businesses and that even our lower than average speeds are effecting the local primary school to deliver curriculum's as efficiently as others in this county. If that's the case then I really understand why people are motivated to improve things.

The also really seem to know a lot more stuff about it than I. I'd love to be able to ask some decent questions and get a better idea of what we might do to have the best chance of actually effecting change, rather than just making some fuss and filling up a few evenings talking about these things over coffee.

In the email chain I mentioned they've included several correspondences with one particular overlord of ISPs. I have now seen that this ISP been saying they will be installing a new cabinet and possibly new cabling (to replace the copper wires) in our village since 2015, but they've put this back at least 3 times. In the most recent email they said that they 'currently are surveying the area' to assess what to do next'. I agree that it does seem like they're just fobbing off these emails from our community.

Some are proposing an alternative solution through a community based broadband 'provider' (I guess I'm not allowed to name it).

I'm reading up a bit and as I said I don't want to engage with this initiative if it will be a waste of time. It's not actually something that is hugely important to me, but it would be really cool if we did have much faster internet here and if our community can be doing worthwhile things to work towards this that would be cool too.

If anyone has any resources to look at or personal experiences they'd like to share then I'd love to hear about them!

Associate
OP
Thanks for those helpful links.

Our area is in OR plans; for FTTP. But does not give a time scale and also it says these plans can be subject to change, so seems pretty vague to me.

Back
Top Bottom