Russell Brand.

Caporegime
If you think that the likes of youtube and twitter are not mainstream media it is you who is making the mistake.

Brand has near enough 10 million followers on twitter the Sun newspaper barely sells 2 million copies daily.

his videos barely ever get more than a few hundred k views.

some haven't even had 200k views, 10 million subscribers means nothing

Soldato
Followers don't equal supporters.

Also he's a clueless ****.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmiMZZZdjqc

No really sure what to make of some people on this forum. If he's ignorant what does that make most posters here who seem to hail the conservatives as a success even though debt is rising? (I mean I don't think labour would be any better but still)

Seems people are unable to divorce FACTS from the person. To me that shows someone who is clueless and incredibly short sighted. Because you don't like him doesn't change the fact he is right.

He reels off a bunch of lets repeat that word together.... F A C T S. Ok we all got that? yes facts. Either some people are are dumb blind or both. Because where i'm from generally we prize discussion based on evidence not personal conjecture. Obviously certain studies/facts/figures etc could be biased to suit an agenda but lets assume these ones are probably not.

Ofc russell brand doesn't get all these himself, he has help from friends who are researchers etc and collectively a LOT smarter than this forum.

Clueless is one word i'd not use to describe him, Just lol.

Last edited:
Soldato
I talked a lot about how Ed Milliband was a tool. Look what happened to him.

I think you've missed the point:

A success for Milliband would have been an election win.
A success for Brand is being in the public eye.

By posting in here you've help Brand to succeed in his aims.

Soldato
We need to move to evidence based government, instead of popularity based.

Except when it comes to implementation of things that can't be quantitatively measured said experts tend to have a nasty habit of choosing things based upon personal preference and popularity.

Ask the Army, RAF and RN where the defence budget should go and you would get 3 very different answers all based upon personal preference backed by supporting evidence.

Ask a GP, A+E consultant and a tertiary surgeon where the NHS budget should go and you would get 3 very different answers all based upon personal preference backed by supporting evidence.

Etc etc

That is not too far from what we have now.

Soldato
But this is where we need to move away from MPs or if we keep mps, experts play a far greater roll and mps can't overall them.
We need to move to evidence based government, instead of popularity based.

I actually wholeheartedly agree.

Also a government that doesn't use smear campaigns and a marketing strategy that involves fear mongering.

Won't happen in my lifetime though....

Soldato
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmiMZZZdjqc

No really sure what to make of some people on this forum. If he's ignorant what does that make most posters here who seem to hail the conservatives as a success even though debt is rising? (I mean I don't think labour would be any better but still).

What do you expect? If you have a deficit, the debt will naturally go up as result. Even with growth, if you spend more than you take in, you will have to borrow to make up the short fall hence the debt increases.

Caporegime
Ofc russell brand doesn't get all these himself, he has help from friends who are researchers etc and collectively a LOT smarter than this forum.

Like the guy who engaged in copious amounts of plagiarism as a journalist and is now behind Russell brand's current foray into politics? Yeah he seems really smart...

Thug
Soldato
Not really, for example laws related to resolving long term unemployment & criminality would have to look at nations succeeding in this & replicating the approaches they use.

The Nordic countries would be used as a model to attempt to replicate, who are on average not on the right side of the spectrum.

For crime, there is the traditional Conservative method (harsh punishments, long sentences, no prevention) - which objectively & according to all the evidence doesn't work. Then there is the 'left' method of prevention, rehabilitation & a reduction in needlessly long sentences for non-violent criminals which does objectively work.

Not all systems are equal & not all ideological stances are as close to the evidence - facts like it or not, tend to have a liberal bias. Again this should be expected, as Conservatism is about traditional & resistance to change, as our understanding of the world progresses, the causes of negative behavior are better known - different approaches are highlighted as being more pragmatic.

I don't agree with you on this.

I agree STRONGLY in principle and admire many Nordic countries who have done this.

However, the difference is that they are extremely homogenous in terms of their make up and culture.

I do not think it would translate well into the fragmented "society" that is the UK. There are many cultures (and indeed a lot of the indigenous people as well) who I genuinely do not believe care enough about the country.

Because that's what soft rehabilitation is, you're inviting someone to modify their behaviour to suit the needs and values of a country. It's not going to work with someone who has no value in the country, and indeed, in a lot of cases, probably doesn't even identify with anything remotely connected.

Caporegime
Back
Top Bottom