Poll: Russian Grand Prix 2019, Sochi - Race 16/21

Rate the 2019 Russian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Man of Honour
i2Wty88.png
Sochi
When was the track built?
Designed by Hermann Tilke, the Sochi Autodrom is effectively a street circuit, evolving out of the internal roads of the park built for the city’s 2014 Winter Olympics.
When was its first Grand Prix?
Formula 1’s first ever Russian Grand Prix took place on October 12 2014. The race was won by Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton, who was midway through a five-race winning streak that would ultimately see him clinch that year’s drivers’ title.
What’s the circuit like?
Looking at a map of the track, your eye can’t help but be drawn to the epic Turn 3, a 750m constant-radius left-hander taking the drivers around the outside of the dramatic Poyushchiye fountain. The rest of the track is characterised by a series of 90-degree bends coupled to some rapid, flowing straights-that-aren’t-straight.
Why go?
Occupying a prime spot on the Black Sea, Sochi is one of Russia’s top beach resorts in the summer, while the race’s early autumn slot should mean it’s just about warm enough for you to work on your tan. If you were inspired by the city’s Winter Olympics, however, you’re out of luck – the ski season in the resorts around Sochi doesn’t get going until December.
Where is the best place to watch?
Get yourself a seat in the Turn 2 grandstand – or the T2 Grandstand Vitaly Petrov, to give it its proper name – to oversee the track’s best overtaking spot, before the cars get back up to speed and slingshot into Turn 3.

TV Times
Sky:
GMIwQ6R.png
C4:
Saturday - 6.30pm Qualifying Highlights
Sunday - 6pm Race Highlights

Track Diagram & Information
1N2iZJg.png

Weather Forecast
i9uxbAE.png

2018 Race Highlights
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...ussian-grand-prix.4XpSmlfm4EoCgmgGmQ0m0A.html

WDC Standings
cmQ34oA.png

Constructors' Championship Standings
gmJgoXb.png

Practice 1
cJlZhpY.png

Practice 2
MzMzAid.png

Practice 3
NxGZRoG.png

Qualifying
Xpt9ZHJ.png

Race
F4GE0pL.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Yawn. Though there has been some overtaking here in the past.

Just looking at the championship tables, I reckon if Rosberg was in the Merc instead of Bottas, he'd have been in with a good shout of winning the title this year.

Permabanned
It's gonna be quite cool. Very late September means cool temperatures there.

It would be better to change timeslots with Barcelona... Or at least, move it to mid September.

Soldato
I think Ferrari caught Mercedes napping over the summer break. They seem to be ahead of them now. I know this isn't Hamilton's strongest track but almost a gap between them of a second!

Permabanned
P1 ended:

Russia-F1.png

Soldato
I think Ferrari caught Mercedes napping over the summer break. They seem to be ahead of them now. I know this isn't Hamilton's strongest track but almost a gap between them of a second!

I think Mercedes are focusing more on 2020. They're still competitive for the front and are reliable, it certainly still seems this season is theirs.

Permabanned

Some analysis were saying that Ferrari chose the wrong direction for designing their 2019 car, especially that front wing. Now, it seems that they are on the right path, and Mercedes try to make their front wing similar to Ferrari's.
Compare Mercedes' front wings in Australia and in Russia.

The bad thing is that you need Ultra HD TV signal in order to see well the details...

Soldato
Mercedes can’t afford anymore iffy strategy calls, but unless Hamilton or Bottas get taken out by Fat John or The Torpedo, they’re looking good for both Constructors and Driver Championships.

alx

alx

Soldato
Ferrari always win the FP1 championship. They were a second ahead in Singapore last week and Merc pulled it back by FP3. Its just how Ferrari and Merc go about their weekends.

Recently Mercedes have been running only the slower tyre in FP1, their Sochi FP1 times were set on the medium tyre vs the softs for the Ferraris.

Soldato
Some analysis were saying that Ferrari chose the wrong direction for designing their 2019 car, especially that front wing. Now, it seems that they are on the right path, and Mercedes try to make their front wing similar to Ferrari's.
Compare Mercedes' front wings in Australia and in Russia.

The bad thing is that you need Ultra HD TV signal in order to see well the details...

I'm stuck in the past on a peasant 720p thanks to NowTV. As soon as I can get Sky installed the better

Man of Honour
Close at the front again, as I'm sure it'll be in the race. People seem to think that Ferrari are now unbeatable, but it has been very close at the front in each race and Ferrari have only just held onto the lead. At this point all Hamilton needs it a reliability and a decent finish - it really helps that the Honda teams are taking penalties to ensure a strong showing in Japan.

Soldato
Honda really are a joke. They can mask their unreliability at the start of the season by just taking a new part from the allocation, but needing to use extra components at less than half way through the season was a damning indictment of their terrible reliability.

Red Bull have shot themselves in the foot if they ever expect to be able to mount a successful WCC campaign with a Honda in the back.

Man of Honour
True Renault isn't great either, but remember that list is up to this GP so you need to add another ICE to Verstappen, Albon and Gasly, and *one of everything* to Kvyat.

Plus you have to keep in mind that mostly these have been for performance upgrades. Honda are looking to next season I reckon - unfortunately where the engine is now strong, losing Adrian (and with his focus already diverted) has cost RB, and will continue to cost them in the aero department.

Back
Top Bottom