Russian spy plane vanishes off Syria

Capodecina
Soldato
The trace of the Il-20 on flight control radars disappeared during an attack by four Israeli F-16 jets on Syrian facilities in Latakia province," Russia's Tass news agency reported.

At the same time Russian air control radar systems detected rocket launches from the French frigate Auvergne, which was located in that region.
Fairly clear evidence that the West (and Saudi Arabia) is intimately involved again in regime change again in the Middle East.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Fairly clear evidence because you've written it?
Not really, no - HERE is the (current) BBC report.

I love that the Russians are now blaming the Israeli F16s who allegedly "forced the Il-20 plane into the path of Syrian air defence systems on Monday after failing to give Moscow enough warning of a strike on Syrian targets". The Israelis were of course "sightseeing" at very short notice.

You have to sympathise with the average Syrian on the Idlib omnibus who aside from a tyrannical regime has also to suffer the interference of foreign powers.

Soldato
Guys the main thread is here: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...cussion-thread.18679623/page-88#post-32127051

I love that the Russians are now blaming the Israeli F16s who allegedly "forced the Il-20 plane into the path of Syrian air defence systems on Monday after failing to give Moscow enough warning of a strike on Syrian targets". The Israelis were of course "sightseeing" at very short notice.
Don't sell the Israeli F-16 pilots short, using another plane to block an incoming missile isn't easy (even when it's a 50 year old guidance system, you have countermeasures and they don't).

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
I imagine that the Russians will have to supply updated anti-aircraft systems to Syria and train the cowboys.

This sort of disaster seems to happen fairly infrequently, I am reminded of the USS Vincennes shooting down an Iran Air Airbus passenger aircraft - I believe that the captain was decorated for his stupidity - the Syrians involved may not be so lucky.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
For several years, Israel and Russia have maintained a special hotline to prevent their air forces from clashing in the skies over Syria. Israeli military officials have previously praised its effectiveness. As well as the hotline, Israel’s prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, has made trips to Moscow to seek to convince President Vladimir Putin not to supply Assad with Russian-made anti-aircraft defences that might endanger Israeli jets on sorties. (LINK).
As von Moltke once said "No plan survives contact with the enemy".

Man of Honour
I imagine that the Russians will have to supply updated anti-aircraft systems to Syria and train the cowboys.

As per was talked about over the Ukraine thing - using one of these systems is "relatively" easy - using one well is a whole different ballgame - especially if you don't have access to ADSB data (obviously combat operations military traffic won't normally be broadcasting) and stuff like IFF doesn't work like in the movies/games even under ideal conditions never mind a confused situation.

Back
Top Bottom