Russian spy plane vanishes off Syria

Soldato
I imagine that the Russians will have to supply updated anti-aircraft systems to Syria and train the cowboys.

This sort of disaster seems to happen fairly infrequently, I am reminded of the USS Vincennes shooting down an Iran Air Airbus passenger aircraft - I believe that the captain was decorated for his stupidity - the Syrians involved may not be so lucky.

Putin hinted at that a few minutes ago during a press conference with the Hungarian PM. He confirmed that it wasn't Israel who shot down the IL-20, and even mentioned the difference with Turkey who deliberately shot down a Russian jet in 2015, saying instead that this fresh incident was a chain of tragic circumstances. However, he also said they would increase the security measures and that these would be very noticeable for "everyone". I'm taking "everyone" to mean "Israel too". S-300 upgrade for Syrian air defenses could be what he's getting at (or something else Israel won't be entirely pleased with).

Odd how yesterday got so "hot" on the heels of Erdogan's and Putin's same-day agreement for a buffer zone instead of attacking Idlib - Israeli attack far up north, accusations of French frigate launching missiles (still not confirmed I take it?), Russian plane shot down by Syrian old anti-air.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
I doubt that either Israel or Russia want to get drawn into an armed conflict . . . although I imagine that Agent Orange would be absolutely delighted . . . just so long as North Korea doesn't join in the fun.

Caporegime
Not really, no - HERE is the (current) BBC report.

I love that the Russians are now blaming the Israeli F16s who allegedly "forced the Il-20 plane into the path of Syrian air defence systems on Monday after failing to give Moscow enough warning of a strike on Syrian targets". The Israelis were of course "sightseeing" at very short notice.

You have to sympathise with the average Syrian on the Idlib omnibus who aside from a tyrannical regime has also to suffer the interference of foreign powers.

Hahah so you've gone from "the West did it" to "well the West made them shoot thier own plane down"

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
This shows how easily one of a limited scope could come about. If they can accidentally shoot down their own planes they can accidentally shoot down Israel’s.
Frankly, I can't see much chance of the Syrians ever managing to shoot down any Israeli F16s; the Russians are not going to trust them with 21st century hardware.

Soldato
“Spy plane” orrrrrr..... maritime reconnaissance aircraft involved in the fairly mundane task in of finding out what ships are where. Best sex it up tho eh ?

Man of Honour
This shows how easily one of a limited scope could come about. If they can accidentally shoot down their own planes they can accidentally shoot down Israel’s.

Unfortunately the plane involved was kind of the ideal target for the older generation SAM systems which are more suited to shooting down medium altitude, medium speed bomber sized aircraft :s

Caporegime

Wrll they were deliberately trying to shoot down an Israeli plane. So if anything it shows they would struggle to do it accidently :p

Man of Honour
Wrll they were deliberately trying to shoot down an Israeli plane. So if anything it shows they would struggle to do it accidently :p

Despite being decades old some of those anti-air missiles have ranges well into the 100s of KM which is a bit concerning if they have poor organisation/discipline etc. next time it could be a longer range accidental target such as civilian air traffic.

Caporegime
Despite being decades old some of those anti-air missiles have ranges well into the 100s of KM which is a bit concerning if they have poor organisation/discipline etc. next time it could be a longer range accidental target such as civilian air traffic.

Can they reach those altitiutes at thst range thougj

Soldato
Back in 2001, a Siberian Airlines Tu-154 was shotdown from it’s cruise altitude by an S-200 over the Black Sea, some 250km’s beyond the drone target it had initially been fired at during a training exercise. Syria’s S-200’s are most definitely a hazard to civilian traffic.

Back
Top Bottom