Looks like rust to me ?
also badly repaired work ?

no sure how to rectify this

CMoV7Yy.jpg.png

0rYQY7f.jpg.png

0TksD3t.jpg.png

Je5aO03.jpg.png

Soldato
Only way to stop it now is sand it down, treat it and repaint. It will get worse.

There is likely to be more on the inside of the arch.

Underboss
OP
Thanks

My current plan is to keep it until I get my first home, when my help to buy isa is full in 3 years time so I dont want to shell out for a new car yet , unless it starts costing money to repair then I'd be quite happy to change

Caporegime
Crap advice...

It's just starting to creep through so now is the perfect time to whiz it back with a dremel / sander / flap disk and touch it up to stop it spreading.

Another 3 years and it might not be a 20 minute job anymore...

Caporegime
Not often I agree with @Acme, but he’s right. Whilst it’s likely to be confined to small patches of surface corrosion it will be far easier (and cheaper) to tackle.

I wish I’d acted on my MX5 whilst it was like that, 12 months later and half the car was rotten!

Soldato
While i do agree that it's better to tackle something like that when it's a small job the risk is once you go behind the paint it could be a lot worse inside and it still could end up being a big job and at that stage you need to fix it as there's a big hole in the side of your car :p

Soldato
Looks to mostly be on the front wings and lower edges of the doors, which wont cause any concerns for the structure of the car or any MOT issues. I'd leave it be. A rattle can paint job would probably look just as bad anyway.

Soldato
Crap advice...

It's just starting to creep through so now is the perfect time to whiz it back with a dremel / sander / flap disk and touch it up to stop it spreading.

This is the advice to follow if you intend to keep the car for another few years and want it to retain value. It's quite shocking at how quickly it can worsen over just 1 winter.

Soldato
Crap advice...

+1 a stitch in time saves 9.
if your not bothered about the overall finish just do as above sand, epoxy primer or rust converter and touch up paint, job done. will stop rust spread, last thing you want is the rust to eat a hole though then issues at mot time. treat it now and it be fine for 10+ years

Caporegime
This is the advice to follow if you intend to keep the car for another few years and want it to retain value. It's quite shocking at how quickly it can worsen over just 1 winter.

Why shouldn't it be the advice in general?

Do people have no pride in their car/posessions?

What about re-sale value?

What about the poor next owner of the car?

For the sake of minimal effort, just fix the damn thing.

Soldato
Yeah, a weekend spent sanding back, rust treatment, then paint/lacquer/polish is going to be far easier now than when it spreads like wildfire, be it surface rust or lacquer peel (which is what it looks like on the bottom of the door).

The repair will be noticeable but it's far better than letting nature take its course and it will show you've at least made a bit of effort to prevent it.

Soldato
taking wheel arch liner off initially to take look inside - if its only what is visible does not look too difficult.

whiz it back with a dremel / sander / flap disk
you'd use a brass wire brush on a dremmel, or a grinding wheel ? - I've got a few patches, and had only ever done it manually.

Soldato
I'd also recommend sorting it now..

At the very least, 5 minutes with a dremel will get you back to bare metal and some POR15 to seal and protect it will keep it from spreading..
You can use touchup paint to smarten it up a bit afterwards.

Soldato
Why shouldn't it be the advice in general?

Do people have no pride in their car/posessions?

What about re-sale value?

What about the poor next owner of the car?

For the sake of minimal effort, just fix the damn thing.

Admit it, you're hoping to buy his car from him as a daily hack in 2 years time and would prefer he sorts it out now...am I right? :D

Back
Top Bottom