• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Rx 580 Nitro+ SE + Freesync vs Palit 1070 dual

Associate
Hey guys!
My current monitor is the msi g24c 1080p 144hz freesync purchased few weeks ago from ocuk,

Recently i bought the 1070 still unopened still returnable,
however i forgot to cancel my preorder on the rx 580 and had no email with estimated delivery date.
until today the first email ive got was that they dispatched my order and it cant be changed.

So the main question is should i keep the Rx 580 w freesync monitor or just hold on to the 1070?
To be said the sapphire aesthetics wise is more appealing. Decided to upgrade mostly because of pubg not running well on the 960m lappy, so wondering if 144fps no freesync or 80-115ish fps with freesync would be the better experience. the price difference is £300 vs £380, also another big factor is the resale value not sure which one would lose more.
E: The rest of the system
Asrock Extreme4
16gb ram 3k mhz

Sorry for the mass of text , Thanks in advance for your opinions !

Soldato
Don't forget you can use Adaptive and Fast on Nvidia regardless of which monitor you use. Might be worth trying those out first before deciding, as the 1070 is a faster card.

Associate
OP
Well if you have Freesync you may as well use it! Mine hovers between 100 and 50 on medium but I don't notice the frame drops at all now.
Thats true but with the rx 580 not gonna use the whole 140hz, its either way a compromise , and then i didnt even count in the resale drop :( as ive said the difference is only 80 quid. gotta decide until tuesday when all the rest of the parts come :D

Associate
OP
Don't forget you can use Adaptive and Fast on Nvidia regardless of which monitor you use. Might be worth trying those out first before deciding, as the 1070 is a faster card.
ive seen few vids about fastsync seemed to have stutters, not sure about adpative sync though gotta check it out :) thanks !

Soldato
Thats true but with the rx 580 not gonna use the whole 140hz, its either way a compromise , and then i didnt even count in the resale drop :( as ive said the difference is only 80 quid. gotta decide until tuesday when all the rest of the parts come :D

PUBG runs like a dog anyway. 1070 is faster though, there is no denying.

Soldato
That's a tough choice since you are just after buying a Freesync monitor, but, the 1070 is the better card. If there was more of a price difference I might say keep the 580 and enjoy Freesync. Since it's only £80, go with the 1070.

About resale value. You shouldn't base your purchase on this, but, if I had to say which card will hold it's value longer is the 580.

Associate
OP
That's a tough choice since you are just after buying a Freesync monitor, but, the 1070 is the better card. If there was more of a price difference I might say keep the 580 and enjoy Freesync. Since it's only £80, go with the 1070.

About resale value. You shouldn't base your purchase on this, but, if I had to say which card will hold it's value longer is the 580.

My habit to support always the underdog makes it even tougher. That monitor was the screen of choice either way, freesync doesnt put any premium on it luckily. Resale value only matters becuase im gonna keep them until the next gen amd / nvidia cards , and coming from a 960m lappy both of these cards gonna hit me like a truck , so thats why i put more focus on that than i should. May i ask whats the price difference when you would rather go with the 580 with my current setup ?

Soldato
My habit to support always the underdog makes it even tougher. That monitor was the screen of choice either way, freesync doesnt put any premium on it luckily. Resale value only matters becuase im gonna keep them until the next gen amd / nvidia cards , and coming from a 960m lappy both of these cards gonna hit me like a truck , so thats why i put more focus on that than i should. May i ask whats the price difference when you would rather go with the 580 with my current setup ?

Well the Next Gen from AMD cards probably won't be out until next year. Nvidia's next gen cards are supposedly coming out in July/August this year. Will it be too soon for you to upgrade? Again, the resale value will be impossible to determine. If the mining bubble bursts completely then there will be a flood of cards on the market, so second hand prices will drop a lot. However if mining becomes profitable again, then second hand prices will rise.

For the price difference, everyone is different. For me, anything over £100 in the difference would make me seriously consider staying with the 580 and Freesync.

Oh, I just looked up that monitor, it's Freesync range is only 90-144, which isn't great to be honest. You can use CRU to change it to 50-144 which is much better. IF you don't want to mess around with CRU than get the 1070 at £380.

Associate
While I've not tried running my 580 without freesync, I still notice stutters when they occur while playing games. That said, I can also use Radeon Chill with a minimum of 48fps and generally not notice the fluctuating fps. I've got the Samsung version of that monitor basically, and I can notice flickering in certain games. I assume it's something to do with the monitors handling of LFC since it seems to occur most around the 70fps mark, and the fact the manual states the Ultimate range can introduce flickering.

IMO, as much as I prefer AMD as a company, get the 1070. If you've never seen free/g sync in action you probably won't miss what you've not experienced if, assuming you 'notice' it unlike me. I have friends running 1070s with 144Hz screens who are far more aware of fps changes than me and they've not really complained. Flip side, I have a mate considering putting in one of his mining 570/580s on a second PC to hook up to his 75Hz freesync display because Rocket League feels smoother even when limited to 60fps like his 1080ti is on the same screen.

Associate
OP
Well the Next Gen from AMD cards probably won't be out until next year. Nvidia's next gen cards are supposedly coming out in July/August this year. Will it be too soon for you to upgrade? Again, the resale value will be impossible to determine. If the mining bubble bursts completely then there will be a flood of cards on the market, so second hand prices will drop a lot. However if mining becomes profitable again, then second hand prices will rise.

For the price difference, everyone is different. For me, anything over £100 in the difference would make me seriously consider staying with the 580 and Freesync.

Oh, I just looked up that monitor, it's Freesync range is only 90-144, which isn't great to be honest. You can use CRU to change it to 50-144 which is much better. IF you don't want to mess around with CRU than get the 1070 at £380.

Not sure how credible this site is but it states that the freesync range is 30-144hz https://www.144hzmonitors.com/monitors/msi-optix-mag24c/

Associate
OP
Sorry, I looked up the previous version, owners of the previous model said it was only 90-144hz. If it has the full range then that's great. Just ignore the last line of my last post :)

Actually im even more confused now , found some best byte review stating its 90-144. I do have the previous version though its just the line
''While the MSI Optix MAG24C FreeSync range isn’t specified by MSI, we assume it will amount to 30-144Hz as it did with the previous model, the MSI Optix G24C.''
Well i guess now i dont even know what my monitor specs are :D :D

Soldato
Actually im even more confused now , found some best byte review stating its 90-144. I do have the previous version though its just the line
''While the MSI Optix MAG24C FreeSync range isn’t specified by MSI, we assume it will amount to 30-144Hz as it did with the previous model, the MSI Optix G24C.''
Well i guess now i dont even know what my monitor specs are :D :D

:D:D Manufacturers should really give the Freesync range in the specifications.

And sorry to say, if you have the previous model, then it's only 90-144hz :( But, CRU can fix it to 50-144hz and that gets you all the advantages of Freesync because of LFC.

Soldato
ive seen few vids about fastsync seemed to have stutters, not sure about adpative sync though gotta check it out :) thanks !

Depending on the Freesync range it may prove worthless to you any way, like me. IIRC mine runs from 45-70? something like that. So of course when I needed it the most (at low FPS) it just didn't do anything. The problem for me was when it dipped into the 30s and that was with a Fury X, not a 580. When I had Gsync I had two Titan Black, so dips into the 30s at 4k were very common. However, it did what it said on the tin. You could feel the drop in FPS but at no point was there any stutter. I now use a Titan XP OC on water to 2100 boost solid with the same monitor running adaptive. It's enough for me, and it works.

If you are getting stutter it may be from the CPU.

Associate
OP
Depending on the Freesync range it may prove worthless to you any way, like me. IIRC mine runs from 45-70? something like that. So of course when I needed it the most (at low FPS) it just didn't do anything. The problem for me was when it dipped into the 30s and that was with a Fury X, not a 580. When I had Gsync I had two Titan Black, so dips into the 30s at 4k were very common. However, it did what it said on the tin. You could feel the drop in FPS but at no point was there any stutter. I now use a Titan XP OC on water to 2100 boost solid with the same monitor running adaptive. It's enough for me, and it works.

If you are getting stutter it may be from the CPU.

Decided to stick to the 1070 , now i just hope that basic palit structure not gonna be noisy , and the thermals gonna stay allright, i guess we gonna see on tuesday :)

Back
Top Bottom