• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RX Vega With Kraken G10 AIO Mod

Associate
Just taken my G10 of my Vega 64 to put some new heatsinks on the vrm's so i'll do a quick run through of what i did. Apologies for the poor quality pic's.

Make a template on the back of the gpu by locating the four screw heads.
BFWvGL3.jpg

Use the template to mark your new holes on the backplate and bracket. Use a center punch or a nail like i did on the marks and drill the new holes, i used a 3.2mm drill bit.
P99thhj.jpg

I had to make the holes slightly oval to get the bolts in flush to the back plate.
9v493mn.jpg

bkufqfH.jpg

I cut down an old heatsink i had to the required sizes for the vrm's. Not sure if it's necessary to put heatsinks on the chokes?
uBG1P9o.jpg

Attach G10 braket and aio.
QF7C96i.jpg

aXSDxkO.jpg

And enjoy your new lower temps.
Not sure why but my temps are up 3c on both core and HBM since before:confused:
Qby9Ph2.png

Oh and if your having a go, be carefull not to void your warranty or break your gpu:p

Soldato
Sweet I was waiting for this. I thought I needed a new back plate. I've got the tools in my Dad's garage. I've got plenty of heatsinks I can shape to fit. What about the temps? Since before fitting AIO? Sure it's not a new version of gpu_z reading different?

Is there not a vrm temp sensor?

What are u using to stick down the heatsinks? I've been using thermal paste + a corner of super glue for yonks.

Associate
OP
Sweet I was waiting for this. I thought I needed a new back plate. I've got the tools in my Dad's garage. I've got plenty of heatsinks I can shape to fit. What about the temps? Since before fitting AIO? Sure it's not a new version of gpu_z reading different?

Is there not a vrm temp sensor?

What are u using to stick down the heatsinks? I've been using thermal paste + a corner of super glue for yonks.

I've had the G10 fitted for a few day's, i removed it to replace the vrm heatsinks and now the temps are higher.

There's no vrm temp senor on gpu_z, dont know if there will be.

I used 3M thermal tape for the heatsinks.

Easy to do really it's only a matter of drilling eight holes, it's more important to be accurate in marking the holes.

Soldato
@RogerTheGoat did u use a shim? Also are u using the fan on board GPU fan header? I have a gelid pwm fan converter to adapt the GPU header to a normal fan plug for motherboards. I take the pwm signal but power is supplied via molex.

Last edited:
Soldato
nice mod the G10 Kraken has been used for all sorts of cards it wasn't meant to fit. Fortunate that AMD have the RAM away from the GPU as normally at least one RAM chip is half under the bracket causing you to use half a heatsink.,

Soldato
Very nicely done, thanks for posting this guide. Is the back plate secured only by the 4x screws on the mounting plate?

I have a Vega 64 AC version and while it is working great at 1450/1000 at .900mV with acceptable noise, it would be nice to get that untapped ~10%-15% extra performance from getting 1650 on the core.

I have an old G10 GPU mount I might mod for this and get a good priced AIO.

Associate
OP
@RogerTheGoat did u use a shim? Also are u using the fan on board GPU fan header? I have a gelid pwm fan converter to adapt the GPU header to a normal fan plug for motherboards. I take the pwm signal but power is supplied via molex.

No shim, and the fan is running off the power supply. I have a Gelid pwm adapter but i managed to pull one of the wires out.

Associate
OP
Very nicely done, thanks for posting this guide. Is the back plate secured only by the 4x screws on the mounting plate?

I have a Vega 64 AC version and while it is working great at 1450/1000 at .900mV with acceptable noise, it would be nice to get that untapped ~10%-15% extra performance from getting 1650 on the core.

I have an old G10 GPU mount I might mod for this and get a good priced AIO.

Yes, just the white NZXT plate with the four bolts holds the cards back plate on. I may put some small cable ties on as it's a bit flappy on the far end of the pcb.

Soldato
Very nice, does the cooler cover the entire GPU die and HBM RAM, or is bits of it left out? Is your Vega also completely flat? There seems to be two variants where the HBM surface is actually lower than the GPU die, while another variant the HBM is hightened a bit so it's even with the core. Could explain the higher temps.

Associate
OP
Very nice, does the cooler cover the entire GPU die and HBM RAM, or is bits of it left out? Is your Vega also completely flat? There seems to be two variants where the HBM surface is actually lower than the GPU die, while another variant the HBM is hightened a bit so it's even with the core. Could explain the higher temps.

The HBM is level with the die, and cooler completely covers HBM and gpu. I did notice the cooler is not totally flat, so it would make more contact in the center.

Back
Top Bottom