1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RX550 / RX560 Bios Mods and Optimisations.

Discussion in 'Crypto Currency & Mining' started by Vince, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Soldato

vince sent you some bioses (is that the plural of a bios?)

2. Th0nt

Soldato

I would go with BI-I

3. iainjh

Associate

thats similar to what ive done. A folding plastic crate from argos, £3:) a few "engineering fixes" :) and a wooden support under the GPU's.. job done. Handy things those crates!

4. Vince

Soldato

got them buddy - ill have a poke around in them after i get beat at pubg.

5. mymorph

Wise Guy

im trying to run claymore on the rx570 (gpu-o) and the 550 on xmr-stak but it aint playing ball. claymore running fine 29 mh/s. ive set the config to run only gpu 0 command " -di 0 "(that the rx570) but the 550 still aint playing on xmr-stak. getting only 100 hs on second thread and nothing on 1st.

sorted - disabled/enabled rx550 in device manager. full speed ahead now

6. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Soldato

Oh just worked out the tool i should be using to tweak the cards, at least I think so, overdriventool?

If so, what sort of settings should I be throwing at it?

7. mymorph

Wise Guy

yes the overdriveNtool is the one togo for, but there are others.

for settings - we've setup a spreadsheet here

when you've optimised your settings please add your own details to the spreadsheet - you can always change them as you tinker

and i still dont know how Vince gets 480 hs - i cant replicate those results

8. AKAK

Gangster

I have been using Wattman and just switched to Afterburner as it won't hold the settings properly.

One click bios, memory to 1800, bring back the core a few percent to reduce power.

Haven't found the optimum settings yet for me.

9. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Soldato

Will do, 2x cards running at about 400 now, so need to try this next level of tinkering and then will add to spreadsheet (1x gigabyte 2gb and 1x sapphire 2gb)

got 2 tasks, the voltage tweaking and the setup of the twin threads in the amd config, I lowered the rates so need to push them back up to see what it does to the hash rate

10. mymorph

Wise Guy

excellent, try to keep an eye on power use as well.

11. Vince

Soldato

For the sapphire: https://nofile.io/f/yHNrcU7SGh6/Lexa+Sapphire-HynixTimings.rom

Using timings that work on the same elpida memory on a gigabyte card, these are somewhere between your 1375 and 1450 straps for this card so take off any overclocks before you get going. The settings for the card are exactly the same as for a xfx elpida equipped card (same memory) and we know that the xfx likes these. Try this one first and then I have another bios to try with a different set of elpida timings, again these are timings tested on a gigabyte with similar memory and are 480 to 500h/s which I have been running on an elpida equipped 550 for a few days stable, timings which I think your card might actually like! I guess we try these first and see what happens, if it likes it I will swing you one that is more on the edge but faster.

Looking at these you could probably try using the elpida 1375 strap which will take a bit off of your top end but I am pretty sure it would be some 50h/s+ faster at stock and then any overclocking room is a bonus.

Let me know how you get on and ill have a look at the other one. (looked at the other one - Exactly the same memory so whould take the same mods) lets work with the sapphire, test, then make the same changes to the gigabyte after if you are happy. :)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  12. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Soldato

Cheers will take a look tonight, yes agree the cards are seeming to perform almost identicle, bar the few mhz diff in clock currently

How do I remove current overclock, i don't think I have any software doing this just whatever is setup in the bios right now...?

13. Vince

Soldato

If you haven't overclocked the memory in wattman, afterburner or similar then you are golden. :) just apply bios, reboot and see what she does. You should also be able to run the xmr-stak settings for the xfx card now which should put you straight in at like 420+h/s+, then with a slight overclock to the memory you should be at 450 :)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  14. Vince

Soldato

I'm using a different memory strap that I haven't shared yet :) I will though, give me time and I will share! I just haven't been at the machine that much to export my timings. Perhaps tonight ill give you what you need for 480h/s - I even had it teetering on the edge of 500 but it wasn't all that stable.

15. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Soldato

Ok thanks, no was just moving to the next step of the undervolting/overclocking etc just not 100% what to tinker with yet!
    I was going to quickly play with he xmr settings a bit. I am running a lower intensity right now and think I may have the config not quite right as each card is using a diff amount of memory. So was going to split the amd configs so as you do each card is running in a diff instance of xmr. Makes it easier for tinkering I guess as you can leave one/some running and just start/stop the individual card your playing with the settings for

This is like a new hobby now for me.

Was aiming for plastic crate 1 tonight, but think it may have to wait a day or so, tweaking to be done :)

16. Vince

Soldato

Separate instances is the way forward and is what I do so I can play with each card at a time :)

17. AKAK

Gangster

Try two threads at "intensity" : 432, "worksize" : 8, for a 2GB card, to me that seems to produce the best results.

18. mymorph

Wise Guy

yep, im in the same ball park

19. Th0nt

Soldato

When you say two threads do you mean you fire up two batch files or is it in the file itself?

20. mymorph

Wise Guy

open the AMD config file in xmr-stak. run two threads instead of the one that is auto created when xmr-stak first runs. lower the value too 432 then copy & paste below
    it will look something like:

"gpu_threads_conf" : [
    // gpu: gfx804 memory:1664
    // compute units: 8
    { "index" : 0,
    "intensity" : 464, "worksize" : 8,
    "affine_to_cpu" : false, "strided_index" : true
    },
    // compute units: 8
    { "index" : 0,
    "intensity" : 464, "worksize" : 8,
    "affine_to_cpu" : false, "strided_index" : true
    },
    // gpu: Ellesmere memory:3712
    // compute units: 32
    { "index" : 1,
    "intensity" : 896, "worksize" : 8,
    "affine_to_cpu" : false,
    },
    // compute units: 32
    { "index" : 1,
    "intensity" : 896, "worksize" : 8,

"affine_to_cpu" : false,
    },

where index :0 is first GPU & index 1 is second gpu etc. each GPU is given 2 threads