Ryanair cancelling flights

Soldato
Doesn't really make sense to me, the official line seems to be contradictory. On the one hand they said they're doing this to improve their punctuality performance, but then there also appears to be an issue around staff leave quotas.

I appreciate that there are compensatory issues to be dealt with when a flight is delayed but Ryan Air are now having to either rebook or refund all of these customers AND are liable for compensation starting at 250 eur per passenger. It just feels very odd to me, I wouldn't be surprised if the full story has yet to come out.

Soldato
It's an absolute disgrace. Feel sorry for its customers who have no idea whether or not their flight is cancelled over the next few months because this sham of a company is only offering to communicate cancellations several days in advance. Utter joke.

Caporegime
I've read it's cos staff are booking time off and they have so many departures leaving late they are going below the minimum allowed guidelines airports impose.....

I'm sure it means more to a flight boffin.

They get fined for late takeoff?

A company I worked for used to fly me on them all the time to Denmark. Tbh the plane was almost empty every time out of 30 trips.
No idea why they bothered running it.

Commissario
Hasn't the story from Ryan Air changed as it was initially that they were doing it to increase the readiness for flights and reduce the delays, then it changed to they needed to allow for staff holidays.

I was also reading that another airline has apparently hired something like 140 or their pilots/cabin crew, which indicates things are really not going well for staff morale (and that loss of staff will affect the overall performance and standards for the company).

I'm no aviation expert, but am wondering how in a business where there is such close monitoring of staff hours (and pretty much everything to do with the operation) they've managed to get into a situation where they're having to cancel flights because they've got a backlog of leave for key staff (pilots) that has to be taken.
It's such a basic thing to plan for.

I suspect this is going to cost them a fortune due to the compensation for the passengers, the fact they're going to have aircraft on the ground unused (they're still going to be paying the leases on them & IIRC some servicing is done in a pure time basis, not time in flight), and the additional costs and service charges for having them parked up on the ground.

Associate
Flying with Ryanair from Manchester in 3 weeks to Barcelona. Hope they let me know soon so I can make alternative arrangements if so. My flight is at 6 30am and I have a cruise boat to catch that same day.

Soldato
Flying with Ryanair from Manchester in 3 weeks to Barcelona. Hope they let me know soon so I can make alternative arrangements if so. My flight is at 6 30am and I have a cruise boat to catch that same day.
I would seek alternative arrangements now as the current communication trend from this company would suggest you'll only be informed several days ahead of the scheduled date.

Transmission breaker
Don
First time I flew with them (booked through an agency) and they asked me to pay £60 to print a boarding pass?? I paid on work credit card, and claimed it back, but after seeing the way the flight was handled (manners of staff, handling of problems and the general dirty condition of the aircraft). I got them to change me to another airline for the return flights, and put a stop on them booking me on there again.

I have subsequently flown with them more recentl. But never enjoyed the experience at all. They are only used when there is literally no other option as far as I am concerned. Any airline where they cut corners in areas you can see will mean they are probably doing it where you can't, which is more worrying.

Easyjet, whilst not fantastic, just do what they say on the tin (usually at least a little late)..

Associate
I was supposed to catch a flight from Stansted airport last night but received a text Friday night saying it was cancelled. They didn't have anything else available for 2 days, pretty useless when I had parking already paid for at the airport, plus car hire in France and meeting someone at Nice airport to head to our accommodation! Bloody lucky to find an easyJet flight a few hours later!
Absolutely terrible service, will not be flying with them again. Expecting to squeeze them for every penny with compensation to account for lost time, effort and additional expenses, but mostly to hold them accountable for dreadful service.

Back
Top Bottom