Ryu Ga Gotoku/Yakuza Kiwami 2 & Shin Ryu Ga Gotoku announced!

Soldato
Kiwami 2 is being remade on the 6's engine and the protagonist of future installments has been revealed!
I've literally lost interest in other games now:p

I really like how Ichiban's personality and outward appearance seem to be the exact opposites of Kiryu (even the colours of their clothes are inverted:p), it's great they didn't go for a clone.

Caporegime
I still haven't got round to playing one of these yet. And now it's getting confusing as to where to start so I made a list.

Yakuza 0 - PS4 - available now on PSN
Yakuza 1 aka Yakuza Kiwami - PS4 - available now on PSN
Yakuza 2 aka Yakuza Kiwami 2 - PS4 - coming next year?
Yakuza 3 - PS3 - available now on disc only
Yakuza 4 - PS3 - available now on PSN
Yakuza 5 - PS3 - available now on PSN
Yakuza 6 - PS4 - when is this coming to UK

Yakuza Dead Souls - PS3 - no idea what this is

So it seems you need a PS3 and PS4 to play everything and then the 3rd entry might be a sticking point if you can't find a disc of it. They ought to put the PS3 games on PS Now at least.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, there's a lot of catching up to do if you haven't played any of them yet. I started with 3 and then 4 back on the PS3. Unfortunately, my console died soon after and I never got a replacement so I didn't play 5, just watched a part of a playthrough on YT. I really wanted to run around fictional Nagoya and Sapporo:/

As amazing as those games are, I'd imagine you burning out on them if you attempted to play them all. They are pretty massive and full of content, it's just too much to digest and can get repetitive if you have six or so games to plow through:p For example, I have around 160h in 0 alone and I still haven't finished due to all the distractions and hilarious sidequests. Y3 took me more than 100h (still not 100%) and I was on NG+ completing missed stuff in 4 at 90h when my PS3 died. I don't think there's a series I put more time in.

Starting with 0/Kiwami/6 and then grabbing Kiwami 2 when it releases in the West is a good choice IMO. Plus, there's a fair chance Kiwami 3 will come at some point. Of course, 3, 4 and 5 are fantastic if you have a PS3 but it's really a lot to digest for a newcomer. Still my favourite series overall and one of the most entertaining ever.

EDIT: Dead Souls is pants, no need to bother with it. 6 releases in March 2018 and there are rumours that Kiwami 2 is set for this December in Japan.

Caporegime
Yeah I’d probably only do 0 and Kiwami and then wait for Kiwami 2. Do they all come with the Japanese voices and English subtitles?

I wonder if these games will get PC versions as Sega has been doing some classics like Bayonetta and Vanquished.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yes, Japanese voices and English subtitles.

I bet Kiwami 2 won't get released before 6 in EU/US so you can play 6 beforehand, its story is pretty standalone (many key characters from previous games are reduced to pretty much cameos) and there's a small recap of character relations. It's technically the end of Kiryu's story but going to Kiwami 2 and discovering his past after that won't be a problem, especially that I'm very positive it'll be a better game.

Soldato
OP
No, but I might import Ishin at some point (shouldn't cost a small fortune now), I really wanted to play it but got 0 instead as it's a mainline entry.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, I'm actually wondering as well whether they'll stop at PS2 or remake all the five games:p Would be great as I really want to replay 3&4 on the new engine and have never played 5.

However, I think 5 is too big to make it work on the Dragon Engine without some serious optimisation. 6 suffers from rather poor performance on the base PS4 and the game area/amount of content is significantly smaller.

My bet would be that they'll stop at Kiwami 3, if even that.

Back
Top Bottom