• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 1700 to i7 8700k

Soldato
Expect a lot of different opinions in here on this.
I did just That, went from a 1700 to 8700k and have no regrets. Beats it in multi and single although at a cost. If cost isn't an issue then go for it.

Soldato
The difference with a 1070 at 1440p would be nothing to negligible in most games.

I can't speak for those specific games though. Perhaps somebody who has them can comment if any are bound by single core performance.

Soldato
Surely putting your money into a new graphics card is better than sinking 300 quid on a cpu?

Nah a 1070 is fine for 1440p. For some games he may see dips below 60fps hence the recommendation for a gsync monitor. I game at 1440p with my 970, if it wasn't for the gsync monitor I would have got a 1080 by now but I'm waiting for volta.

Soldato
At 1440P the CPU is less a factor so might as well hold steady for now. If the next AMD CPU's can be dropped into your mobo that will be less hassle, lower risk(something doesn't work after rebuild) and cheaper upgrade.
Benchmarks and FPS counter watching put to one side, I wonder how notable any difference would be while just playing games. (rather than FPS watching).
I suspect AMD CPU's and mobo's don't hold their value so well either, they're always running discounts on new, potentially making such an upgrade as you're suggesting more costly.

Soldato
If you've made this post it means you have the cash and then you should go for it. It's significantly faster for single-thread-bound games, and its multi-thread performance is matching.

Back
Top Bottom