• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 1700 to i7 8700k

Soldato
I've started seeing a couple threads like these about the ,8700k versus ryzen. They all seem to say to go intel if you can afford it. Does that mean ryzen is for budget builders?

Associate
If you've made this post it means you have the cash and then you should go for it. It's significantly faster for single-thread-bound games, and its multi-thread performance is matching.

Completely pointless imo since he is currently gaming at 1440P and 60 FPS, CPU won't be a factor. Now if gaming at 144Hz with a 1080ti that's a different matter ...

Soldato
A 1080 is 518 Quid... an 8700k with the cheapest Z270 motherboard is 503...

Right now you will get a bit more performance out of an 8700k than a 1700. The extra cores on the 1700 might make the difference much smaller in the future, but that is a maybe not a definite. Is it worth it? Depends on your budget and what the change in platforms will cost you is selling off your existing kit. but with Zen+ coming in Q1 '18 you might regret shifting platform early next year.

You would get a significant jump in performance going from your 1070 to a 1080, If you were actually itching to change then that would give you a far greater increase. I have no clue about the second hand value comparison between selling your 1070 and selling the 1700 and board.

Soldato
to be perfectly honest building a new PC right now for both CPU and GPU is a bit pointless.. Ryzen refresh rumored for early next year, Coffeelake is a dead end platform on Z370 but Z390 is coming we hear? so theres more mileage potentially in that... Nvidia will no doubt release something new next year, wouldnt put it past them releasing a 2070 which is near on 1080ti performance. If your rig works right now at 1440p and your monitors capped to 60hz as long as your getting 60fps i'd just stick with it, but yeah maybe look into a better GPU for the time being, would prob go secondhand personally right now.

Soldato
I've started seeing a couple threads like these about the ,8700k versus ryzen. They all seem to say to go intel if you can afford it. Does that mean ryzen is for budget builders?

Not at all, Certain people on here had problems when using Ryzen either 1700 or 17 / 1800x not being able to get ram at speeds they wanted etc and jumped to the Intel 8700k and their problems were 'fixed' but for the few who are vocal on here about Ryzen being the end of days they are still selling well and people are running without problems.

Obviously some people have to be on the latest and greatest no matter the cost.

Permabanned
They are not identical, 8700 is faster in a lot of situations but its a pointless upgrade for 60fps @ 1440p

Save your pennies for either new monitor, gpu and then wait for ryzen+.

Also anyone saying the 1700 doesn't overclock is a clueless idiot. :)

Associate
Not in my opinion. Intel could sell their processors for the same price but they wont.

They know they have the mind share so they will maximize their profits. Just business really but without those Ryzen's, Intel wouldn't have been in such a rush to release their latest.

Associate
Dont bother, the 8700K is not what people make it out to be, who really runs fhd these days ?
You should be able to get your 1700 to 3.9-4ghz and paired with decent memory, differences between this and 8700K are irrelevent, considering you run 1440p it`s a waste of time and money.
Intel is still sticking to their bull**** pricing policy, while adding problems with stock to the mix, on these reasons alone, I would ignore their offerings, oh and their delid your 400 dollar cpu and enjoy 90c policy is ridiculous, and if you delid you lose your warranty, if you choose intel you lose either way.

Associate
to be perfectly honest building a new PC right now for both CPU and GPU is a bit pointless.. Ryzen refresh rumored for early next year, Coffeelake is a dead end platform on Z370 but Z390 is coming we hear? so theres more mileage potentially in that... Nvidia will no doubt release something new next year, wouldnt put it past them releasing a 2070 which is near on 1080ti performance. If your rig works right now at 1440p and your monitors capped to 60hz as long as your getting 60fps i'd just stick with it, but yeah maybe look into a better GPU for the time being, would prob go secondhand personally right now.
What this guy says.

It's not like the R7 1700 is suddenly a terrible part now that 8700k is available. Just hold out and see what Ryzen+ bring and what X390 on Intel brings.

If you've got a new system and are already looking to upgrade to 8700k on X370 then would you then want to upgrade to X390 when that releases?

Why buy into another platform that you will want to dispose of in less than a year again.

Back
Top Bottom