Ryzen 1700 vs 7700k vs 7800x - What would you pick for a new PC?

Associate
Looks like a picked an interesting time to buy a new system.

I want to pick one of the following CPU's to build a new rig around:
  • Ryzen 1700
  • i7 7700k
  • i7 7800x
What do you guys think is the best option, in terms of the following parameters:
  • Performance - Gaming and general system usage
  • Value for money - Is it worth spending the money on the cpu
  • Stability - Mature bios/drivers/hardware
  • Expandability - Potential for future upgrades (better CPU on same motherboard)
  • Ecosystem - What range of motherboards and memory is available

Some points:

1700 (am4/x370)
  • 1700 - 8 cores
  • threadripper not on am4?
  • cheaper platform (cpu around 50 quid cheaper and the mobos start sub £100)

7800k (2066/x299)
  • 7800x - 6 cores
  • quad channel ddr4
  • x299 platform has potential for cpus with more cores (upgradability) 10/12/16 etc
  • most expensive platform, motherboards £200+

7700k (1151/z270)
  • 7700k - 4 cores
  • platform limited to 4 cores
  • stable platform, wide range of mobos

From what Ive seen in various gaming benchmarks the 7700k is generally faster across the board vs 7800x
Hardware Unboxed 7700k vs 7800x
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKX9Bcxnd7U

This continues on the Ryzen platform vs Basin Falls:
1600 vs 7800x OC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfNMn7RWgLw&t=189s

Last edited:
Soldato
If longevity of platform/easy upgradeability is goal don't see Intel having anything in that currently.

For high end platform any new CPUs coming for it are of same architecture as desktop platform CPU: Very little if any IPC advance.
So by the time CPU cores have actually advanced you need to buy new motherboard anyway.
For ordinary use primarily gaming PC you won't be needing super high core counts in a long time.

At desktop platform even Coffee Lake, which appears to be just more of Kaby Lake cores in CPU might well need new motherboards.
6 core Coffee Lake surely will be more future proof, but we don't yet know if we have to wait for late autumn/Christmas for its release...
Mess in high end platform shows that Ryzen suprised Intel sitting pants down and thumbs up their butt and likely intending to keep desktop at four cores.
And no matter the resources all design and simulating, tape out for prototyping and testing taking time.

While AMD can only benefit by keeping their standard upgradeability with tweaked models and then 7nm CPUs fitting to current AM4 platform.
(Threadripper likely to have also upgrade path)

Associate
I'm faced with a similar dilemma. From what I know quad channel ddr4 is mainly more expensive and won't benefit you much. I wouldn't go for 7800x, if anything 7820x, but that is again slightly more expensive. 7820x is faster anywhere between 10 to 20 % than Ryzen 7, however as all new i7 and i9 CPUs overheats easily even on non custom AIOs like Corsair 1xx series. I'm not convinced I want to run a platform which is constantly edging 80-90 C...

New games might squeeze out more out of Ryzen as it was proven with couple of newer titles which got Ryzen optimised binaries. Rise of the Tomb Raider is probably the most extreme example with some serious FPS gains:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNmZTANvNyc

This is really a tough one as both platforms have their own issues. Ryzen is slower and suffers from RAM compatibility issues at higher frequencies. 299x platform is more expensive (£300+ in the most favourable cases) and has heat issues.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom