Ryzen 2 (not Zen+)

Associate
Has anyone come across any information on whether there will be a new Chipset and thus motherboards for the upcoming 7nm Zen 2 based desktop CPU’s?

I know they will be backwards compatible with existing AM4 boards with a BIOS update, but I wonder with the redesigned Infinity Fabric on the upcoming Rome server chips whether we might see a new chipset to take advantage of stronger I/O and no doubt memory speeds?

Soldato
Has anyone come across any information on whether there will be a new Chipset and thus motherboards for the upcoming 7nm Zen 2 based desktop CPU’s?

I know they will be backwards compatible with existing AM4 boards with a BIOS update, but I wonder with the redesigned Infinity Fabric on the upcoming Rome server chips whether we might see a new chipset to take advantage of stronger I/O and no doubt memory speeds?

Probably, AMD never said they were not going to release new chipsets, they just said all CPU's until 2020 would be compatible with current chipsets, we wont see any new board designs etc until Feb / March next year, they will probably be in-line with current numbering, so X570, B550, etc etc

Its RyZen3 (Zen2) by the way, we are on RyZen2 (Zen+) now.

Associate
OP
I’m guessing first opportunity of any real news will be CES 2019 as Dr Lisa Su has been invited to the keynote. Exciting times nonetheless as Zen 2 so far looks good especially on the IPC front.

Back
Top Bottom