• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 2950x 8 banks of ram issue

Associate
Guys a friend of mine recently purchased a new Ryzen 2950x system which has 128gb of ram ( 8 Sticks ) but when it goes into Windows it only counts 96gb. I'm not sure what the board is but i know its a decent Gigabyte board and the Ram is the Corsair Vengeance stuff and i believe its 3200. I can confirm all the sticks work as we tested in different configurations.

At the minute he has ordered hyper x ram to see if that solves his problem but we cant find anything concrete if this is the solution. I have found through other forums that this is a know issue with the thread ripper. I have also seen some Motherboards recommend certain ram but that's for the first gen thread rippers.

The bios has been updated to the latest version also.

Has this happened to anyone else? Can anyone explain why this is or point me in the correct way to help him out?

Soldato
If you've tested all the sticks, in all the various slots and are still having the issue then I can only advise what I did to fix a similar problem on the X399 Aorus Gaming 7.

1.) Reset BIOS to defaults checking nothing was OC'd and disconnected all peripherals other than GPU and one SSD.
2.) Re-flashed the newest BIOS, cycled the power fully once completed allowing time for board to discharge, and removed CMOS battery.
3.) Re-installed Windows 10 Pro 1803 (I think it was)

Problem was then gone after going through all of those steps, never quite figured out what caused it, but I built 6 systems with the same configuration and it only happened on one of them.

This was with Corsair LPX 3000MHz RAM 8x16GB, using the 1950X not a 2950X however.

Back
Top Bottom