• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 3000 Air cooler options, convex and undersized plates of popular choices not suited to die....

Associate
....layout.

Feel free to add to this list of popular air coolers getting recommnded on the basis of them being good value for other cpu's but actually not that suited to Ryzen 3000 due to the non-central die layout.

Popular recommendations:

Cryorig H7 - from what i'm reading from reddit users this is a poor choice due to its convex plate, people reporting very high temps, the convex plate is designed to draw heat away from the centre but this is less than optimal for these cpu's.

Thermalright Macho - Same again with this

Arctic Freezer 34 esports - have you seen how tiny the base plate is on this, it doesn't cover the cpu at all which is no issue on central die CPU's but with the corner die's this has surely got to be a poor choice, its only half covering that corner die.

Just a head's up for people looking at these since these are best value in thier range but might not be ideal???

Fell free to add to this if I am wrong about this, i'm just going off of what I have read and has certainly put me off the above choices. Even the Mugen 5 is suppose to be convex but it possibly comes down to what degree they are convex

Last edited:
Associate
OP
gt8bhz6d6hd31.jpg

thats a pic of the freezer 34 on Ryzen, surely that is no good? same plate as the esports

Soldato
....layout.

Feel free to add to this list of popular air coolers getting recommnded on the basis of them being good value for other cpu's but actually not that suited to Ryzen 3000 due to the non-central die layout.

Popular recommendations:

Cryorig H7 - from what i'm reading from reddit users this is a poor choice due to its convex plate, people reporting very high temps, the convex plate is designed to draw heat away from the centre but this is less than optimal for these cpu's.

Thermalright Macho - Same again with this

Arctic Freezer 34 esports - have you seen how tiny the base plate is on this, it doesn't cover the cpu at all which is no issue on central die CPU's but with the corner die's this has surely got to be a poor choice, its only half covering that corner die.

Just a head's up for people looking at these since these are best value in thier range but might not be ideal???

Fell free to add to this if I am wrong about this, i'm just going off of what I have read and has certainly put me off the above choices. Even the Mugen 5 is suppose to be convex but it possibly comes down to what degree they are convex

Tested on 3900X, if Noctua D15 is "too big" for you.
Atm I am using the D15 and is superb with the 3900X while waiting for the Bitspower AM4 big size full cover block.

Soldato
Ow Man i order one of these today.... why would make the base so small?

Cos traditionally the cpu is a little blob of silicon exactly in the centre and every cooler covers the centre just fine. There's no need to have the cooler base covering loads of the IHS if there's nothing under it.

Then AMD decided to put chips all over the place and create drama.

How much it really actually factually matters is all in peoples heads. This is all about differences in temp which will change nothing. But that doesn't stop people or their OCD.

However if making a new model of cpu cooler today (which that isn't) it would be proper design to make the base larger to account for AMDs eccentric chip placement under the IHS.

Back
Top Bottom