• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 3600 - home working cpu choice?

Soldato
I’m putting parts together for a home office build, can’t see me gaming, but will be some multi threaded work.

as much as I’d like to go with a 5600, the price difference to that from a 3600 is too big for me I think. I can get a 3600 retail for around £168, add a board for. £100 and I’ve got a decent base?

I’m aware the next big issue will be GPU...but may have to wait for a bargain there.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Should be more than fine for just a general workload, depends on what work you do though

Soldato
OP
Should be more than fine for just a general workload, depends on what work you do though

aside from general work and entertainment, I’d like to play with some 3D design work. I’m not going to build an out CAD station but the multi threads would help. I guess the other reason for the choice is that there’s not much lower which makes the Down step worth it?

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

aside from general work and entertainment, I’d like to play with some 3D design work. I’m not going to build an out CAD station but the multi threads would help. I guess the other reason for the choice is that there’s not much lower which makes the Down step worth it?

Bare minimum should be 6 cores if you ask me (in terms of performance + longevity)

Associate
What do you needvthe GPU for?

You have some really cool (literally!) options for work-only. Passive-cooled/zero noise. Or even just use embedded CPU graphics, like most work laptops do. And they are fine for just work and videos/media.

Erm... I admit my ignorance now. I don't know which is the best embedded-graphics CPU to go for! I need to read up on it.

Soldato
OP
What do you needvthe GPU for?

You have some really cool (literally!) options for work-only. Passive-cooled/zero noise. Or even just use embedded CPU graphics, like most work laptops do. And they are fine for just work and videos/media.

Erm... I admit my ignorance now. I don't know which is the best embedded-graphics CPU to go for! I need to read up on it.

The ryzen options for integrated graphics are limited to low end options. Intel have some options integrated but again, the pay off seems to be performance at that price point. It’s a balancing act of cpu performance vs additional cost of a gpu.

I may be able to get something cheap to tied me over. I have an old i5 laptop but need more storage and power from it.

Soldato
I did consider that, but performance difference between the i3 and 3600 is quite considerable.?
It is but it's also cheaper when you consider you don't need a GPU, I expect any discrete GPU will offer less performance than the i3 would. You could almost say the i3 is at least half the cost yet it offers much more performance than half a 3600.

Also I run a 3600X in my machine, I'm not an Intel fanboy.

Man of Honour
The ryzen options for integrated graphics are limited to low end options. Intel have some options integrated but again, the pay off seems to be performance at that price point. It’s a balancing act of cpu performance vs additional cost of a gpu.

I may be able to get something cheap to tied me over. I have an old i5 laptop but need more storage and power from it.
The 4650G and 4750G aren't low-end, but availability is an issue.

The 10100 is a very good choice for an office system, but for 3D work 6 cores would be helpful, though it depends on the software as some workstation software won't even use them.

Associate
A 3600 will be more than fine as long as your not creating loads of VMs. I used a ryzen 2600 for a year whilst waiting for a 3700X and it managed everything I wanted. all the programming IDE's, postgres, sql server, office etc etc all multitasking.

You will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom