• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 3600 to 3700X/5600X if only costs around £100 to upgrade?

Associate
I saw the recommended specs for The Medium and, whilst it's not a game I'm fussed about, the fact that it is the first game I've seen that recommends 8 cores got me a little bit spooked that my trusty servant 3600 might need an upgrade sooner than I thought.

I've therefore done what any good PC owner does and looked around at new parts. Now if this was a simple choice of laying down the full price for a chip, I wouldn't bother. But I have a limited window right now of somebody that will pay nearly full price for my 3600 (because I'll build their system for them) so I have an opportunity here to upgrade for much cheaper - between £100-150.

In that scenario, will the better latency of the 5600X be a better investment than the 2 extra cores of the 3700X? Or are both options largely pointless for just gaming?

It'll be paired with a 3070 GPU, so I've power there to be used and I game at 1440p on a 75hz screen. Are either chips worthwhile or should I stick with what I have and then drop the full price down the line (perhaps on a 5800X if they ever get to more reasonable levels)?

Soldato
Personally I don't think it's worth it for 1440p and this vid shows that while there are a few gains most of those gains come in games that already have high refresh rates well above 100hz.

Soldato
will be probably another year or 2 till 6 cores start to struggle so maybe look at picking up a 5800X / 5900X when the new zen 4 is out and zen 3 prices drop.

I went from an early silicon 3600 that would only hit 4.2ghz on 2 cores to a 5800X which now does 4.85ghz on all cores and while it is a great CPU the gains in gaming with an RTX 3080 @1440 were negligible in most games especially the latest games which all seem to be more GPU bound.

Associate
I went from 3600 to 5600x after discounts and selling my 3600 eBay during a time of strange demand it only cost me about £40.

Some games I play it gave a decent fps gain @ 1440p and in others maybe 1-3fps, so for £100 maybe not worth it but guess it all depends on the games you play.

Associate
I am in a similar predicament with my 3600x . A friend wants to buy it if i upgrade. I have decided to bite the bullet and go for a 5800x. sort of covers all bases but at extra cost. And i can see it lasting this whole console life span!

Back
Top Bottom