Ryzen 3700x build check #2

Associate
Hey guys...hope you can help...

Looking to finally satisfy upgrade itch...managed to hold off till 3rd gen as machine was doin fine....but now legit windows 10 and 1903 update just sapping the soul out of it.....cant even discord properly while in td2 anymore...

anyway.....

in my basket are...

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
MSI X470 GAMING PRO
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32gb (2x16gb) DDR4 3000 Mhz

before i pull the trigger can anyone tell me if the cpu & mem will work out the box in that mobo as my currect is intel so wont be able to update bios?...

ta in advance for any help...

G

:)

Soldato
Short answer, no. The board will need the latest bios but it has usb flashback (google it, there’s plenty of tutorials) which allows you to update the bios without a cpu. - THAT BOARD DOES NOT HAVE BIOS FLASHBACK - APOLOGIES

Once that’s done then yea everything should drop right in. You’ll still need to tinker a bit to get the best/most from it as there ere are the usual bugs and issues at the mo with most Ryzen 3 set ups (early adopter beta testing and all that) so might be worth holding off a bit, if you can, until bios matures a bit (which is what I’m doing)
Edit: do you need 32GB of ram? 16 with faster speed/better timings seems to be the sweet spot but someone with more knowledge of ram will be along I’m sure. Have a look in the copious amounts of Ryzen threads in the cpu forum for a tonne of info.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you need 32Gb - i would recommend the Ballistix Sport LT (BLS2K16G4D32AESB) - important that it has AES within the product code so you ensure you get E-Die. They're very tweakable - notable members have managed to get them to 3600Mhz with decent timings on similar setups/chipset (even the 3000MHZ set).

EDIT: Also, there's a new MAX version of the 450 coming (Tomahawk) which has 32MB eeprom - and shouldn't have issues that some of the 450/470 are experiencing.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks guys....

held off from ryzen 1 & 2....original plan was to wait till 3k's were released and get a 2600x (thinking prices would drop).....but the price on the 3700 are way better than i expected...

that usb flashback got me good to go now with cpu & mobo.......after i get the mem choice sorted....

i dont 'need' 32gb......machine is for gaming and gaming related shennanigans only.....was workin on the principle oc'd 32gb 3k would be better than 16gb 3.2k-3.6k...and a bit of futureproof....so any better mem suggestions much appreciated...

running a gtx1080 and 35" 1440p uw if that matters....

thanks again

G

*how about this for memory?

Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18 Memory Kit

Last edited:
Soldato
The board will need the latest bios but it has usb flashback (google it, there’s plenty of tutorials) which allows you to update the bios without a cpu.
USB Flashback is norm only in MSI's B450 boards.
From MSI's X470 boards only Gaming M7 AC has it.

Associate
Thanks guys....

held off from ryzen 1 & 2....original plan was to wait till 3k's were released and get a 2600x (thinking prices would drop).....but the price on the 3700 are way better than i expected...

that usb flashback got me good to go now with cpu & mobo.......after i get the mem choice sorted....

i dont 'need' 32gb......machine is for gaming and gaming related shennanigans only.....was workin on the principle oc'd 32gb 3k would be better than 16gb 3.2k-3.6k...and a bit of futureproof....so any better mem suggestions much appreciated...

running a gtx1080 and 35" 1440p uw if that matters....

thanks again

G

*how about this for memory?

Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18 Memory Kit

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...3600mhz-dual-channel-kit-black-my-08q-tg.html

rather than the dominator memory what about the expensive but low latency 8 pack memory - again 3600 MHz (2 x 8gb).

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...3600mhz-dual-channel-kit-black-my-08q-tg.html

Associate
OP
so...finally settled on parts.....

i know some of you have been worried sick with nerves worrying how this will pan out.....fret no more....

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...3200mhz-dual-channel-kit-black-my-08l-tg.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/amd-...hz-socket-am4-processor-retail-cp-3b7-am.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...4-x570-chipset-atx-motherboard-mb-34h-ms.html

won a watch with the price drop on the cpu...compromised on the mem...only got 3200 but the tighter timings set.......
lost it a bit on the mobo though...what the **** was i thinking.....but it's black and red with lights (like the rest of my build)......

lesson kids....don't buy expensive stuff online at silly o'clock....

G

Back
Top Bottom