Ryzen 3700x Motherboard advice

Associate
I've got all the bits, and went for a B450 Gaming Carbon Pro AC - wish I hadn't, the sheer amount of hassle getting it to work correctly has meant I've spent the best part of two weeks trouble shooting, and getting no where.

The BIOS was updated using the normal processes, windows installed and all was working fine.

I plugged in a portable USB hard drive and click been click beep click beep... tried the drive on other PC's and and laptops and it was fine. So tried another branded drive, same issues.

Stripped the setup down, redid the bois from scratch again - same problem
unplugged everything apart from CPU, GPU and ram - no USB headers - still same problems.

Randomly the drive would work, then it wouldn't in the rear USB VR ready ports

board wasn't bought from OCUK but from amazon. It's now going back to amazon as I'm fed up with it, and MSI have been pretty slow/useless.

I'm now looking at spending a bit more, not loads as the mrs would murder me, and getting something like the Aorus X570 AORUS ELITE as it looks like a decent board for the money.

Unless anyone has a better idea, didn't want to spend that sort of cash as the b450 is a great board specs wise, nothing comes close that I can find.

Associate
Give OCuK a call and ask if the 3700x will work in the MSI b450 Tomohawk MAX out of the box?
Failing that i think the X570 Aorus Elite is what i would go for, only downside to it is having the fan on it, if that fails outside of warrenty will it be repairable?

Associate
OP
Give OCuK a call and ask if the 3700x will work in the MSI b450 Tomohawk MAX out of the box?
Failing that i think the X570 Aorus Elite is what i would go for, only downside to it is having the fan on it, if that fails outside of warrenty will it be repairable?

Thanks I think the MAX boards are updated so they do work with the 3700x, not sure I want to go with a tomahawk now after all the headaches I've had and the support I've gotten from MSI.

Thank the Aorus will be what I go for instead, but just wanted other options beforehand.

Associate
The MSI B450M Mortar MAX is a decent board, but bear in mind it's micro-ATX and also no WiFi.

The MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX is a decent ATX alternative, but again no WiFi.

If you want WiFi, the MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC is still a good spec motherboard for the price. So you may wish to RMA your current one and persevere with a replacement if you think the spec is right for you.

If you want an X570 motherboard with WiFi, the ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WiFi) is relatively well priced (but no BIOS flashback button):
Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus WiFi (AMD AM4) DDR4 X570 Chipset ATX Motherboard= £219.95

X570 motherboard without WiFi (but has Q-Flash Plus similar to BIOS flashback button function), then I'd look at the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite:
Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE (AMD AM4) DDR4 X570 Chipset ATX Motherboard= £209.99 (if you shop around, there are currently some good deals on this motherboard)

Associate
OP
The MSI B450M Mortar MAX is a decent board, but bear in mind it's micro-ATX and also no WiFi.

The MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX is a decent ATX alternative, but again no WiFi.

If you want WiFi, the MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC is still a good spec motherboard for the price. So you may wish to RMA your current one and persevere with a replacement if you think the spec is right for you.

If you want an X570 motherboard with WiFi, the ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WiFi) is relatively well priced (but no BIOS flashback button):
Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus WiFi (AMD AM4) DDR4 X570 Chipset ATX Motherboard= £219.95

X570 motherboard without WiFi (but has Q-Flash Plus similar to BIOS flashback button function), then I'd look at the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite:
Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE (AMD AM4) DDR4 X570 Chipset ATX Motherboard= £209.99 (if you shop around, there are currently some good deals on this motherboard)

Thank you,

I think I'm going to go with the Gigabyte board, I like the MSI boards, but the support I got from MSI was awful, and no direct RMA with them, you have to go through the retailer, and they state that the three year warranty is down to the retailer, which has put me off, similar with Asus as I've found their support in the past to be lacking.

I just want a board that'll work out of the box without any major issues.

Been following this topic with interest, I'm pretty settled on the Aorus Elite too for a Ryzen build.

a) 2x nvme slots
2) Decent enough power phases for OC
d) USB-C header which a lot of the other boards don't at this price point.

It can be had for decent money compared against other boards at the same feature point. I vowed never to buy Gigabyte again after multiple GPU failures, but recent reports of quality, RMA support and warranty have been encouraging enough for me to pick them over Asus who seem to be gimping their boards (USB-C on TUF series, equivalent price point to the Elite for example) on certain features or overpricing others.

Associate
OP
Been following this topic with interest, I'm pretty settled on the Aorus Elite too for a Ryzen build.

a) 2x nvme slots
2) Decent enough power phases for OC
d) USB-C header which a lot of the other boards don't at this price point.

It can be had for decent money compared against other boards at the same feature point. I vowed never to buy Gigabyte again after multiple GPU failures, but recent reports of quality, RMA support and warranty have been encouraging enough for me to pick them over Asus who seem to be gimping their boards (USB-C on TUF series, equivalent price point to the Elite for example) on certain features or overpricing others.

I must say I wish I had used the forum for the guidance in the first place, the Aorus Elite has gone up on Amazon now, was the lowest priced around until this morning.

I think the support side of things is important, I like the MSI boards, I would love another B450 Gaming Carbon Pro AC, but I had no luck with getting it to work with the USB ports properly, maybe I wait and get another.

The Gigabyte boards have been praised everywhere I look, whereas ASUS haven't (and previous experience) has put me off as well.

Associate
OP
Ah dang. :(

Be a good time for OcUK to match... :D
I'll have a word and see what they can do... got to return this one to amazon first and get a refund out of them. It was going to be an exchange for another gaming carbon ac, but they arn't in stock and with all the BIOS issues I can't be bothered messing around with it.

Back
Top Bottom