• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 5 1600 not running full speed

Associate
hi,
Something strange is happening with my ryzen 1600. When I have Msi command centre open it runs at full 3.9ghz but when i close it, it will only run at 2.8ghz. Mobo is msi b350 tomahawk.
Temps only 66 degrees C with waterblock voltage 1.3.
It’s not a problem leaving command center open it’s just bit annoying.

All over clocking was done in bios not in the command centre.

Anyone know why this is?

Associate
The MSI softwares do not properly support Ryzen afaik. So they will be reported incorrectly, use HWinfo or even on windows task manager might be more accurate.

Associate
OP
I have used msi afterburner and cpu z to watch the clock speed. Both show 3.9 when command center is open and 2.8 when it’s closed.
It is set at 3.9 in the bios. It’s very strange. Ive read windows can limit the max ghz but I checked the power settings and it’s set to 100%

update, ive found it will only run at 2.8 in prme 95 no matter what but will run games and applications at 3.9 with command centre open.

update 2 - for anyone having the same issue after hours of messing around it is windows throttling the cpu at 71% ive tried changing all the power settings downloading extra software to add more settings to disable it but nothing works. the command centre must be overriding windows or something to allow it to run at 3.9. only thing that works is disabling amd cool and quiet in bios so it runs at full speed all the time and doesn't throttle down.

if anyone figures out how to fix this please let me know

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom